Why is my lawn mower smoking and what can i do?

Postby cyril54 » November 19th, 2012, 7:59 am

I bought a cheap mower from someone because I needed one ASAP. The mower smokes and I am just trying to figure out is there anything I can do to fix it, or do I just use it as long as I can and then get rid of it? The smoke is black.
cyril54

Postby shannon32 » November 19th, 2012, 8:05 am

carbon smoke
too much oil in it,
old gas
dirty plug
shannon32

Postby sacheverell » November 19th, 2012, 8:08 am

Oil burner. Typical problem is bad rings in the cylinder which scores the piston wall or the valve seats are in need of repair. As you said it was cheap, probably because it is damaged. It is also possible that the mower was tipped on it's side and oil got in the intake manifold or the carburetor. If this is the case, it will quit smoking after a couple of hours of run time. If it still smokes after that get a newer one or at least one in better condition and give this one away.
sacheverell

Postby celsus » November 19th, 2012, 8:16 am

If it is black smoke and it is running rough, you need to adjust the carburetor by turning the fuel mixture screw in a little bit. My guess is that the smoke might be blueish instead which is oil smoke. Only thing you can do with that is make sure you watch your oil reservoir at the bottom of the mower and use it until it dies. You may go through a few spark plugs as well because they will get contaminated by burning the oil instead of just gas and air which it is designed for.
celsus

Postby sparke » November 19th, 2012, 8:26 am

black smoke usually indicates unburned gasoline, the black is carbon. try to find info on adjusting the carburetor, should be something online about that. for future reference, blue smoke is oil, means your piston rings are going. In that event, you may be able to forestall a complete engine failure with the addition of STP or Motor Honey ( by Casite) to the crankcase of the mower. try to use in proportion to label's recommendation for a car.
sparke

Postby marlon » November 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

Possibly the mower was tipped to one side which will cause oil to burn in the muffler but should clear within a few minutes of running it.
marlon

Postby gram » November 19th, 2012, 8:34 am

THATS VERY DANGEROUS
if a spark hits he gas the whole things gonna blow!
gram

Return to Lawns and Turf