What is the difference between lawn fertilizer brands?

Postby ceileachan58 » June 29th, 2012, 12:18 am

I am trying to get a schedule down for my lawn for the season's fertilizing and weed killing. there are several brands of weed and feed/turf builder+,etc. the analysis is so close I doubt if it makes difference. but I'm thinking there maybe a difference between them--Scotts, Ace, Vigoro, etc. I'm not sure what to buy, the price difference is 2 - $5 for 5000 feet. If I can save $5 I will but don't want to compromise quality. Hoping for some help on this
ceileachan58

Postby fane » June 29th, 2012, 12:19 am

There is no difference in the effectiveness of different brands of fertilizer. I have used them all and have found the cheap brands are just as effective as the expensive name brands. I use Menards brand (the cheapest brand in my area) and have achieved great results. It all depends on how much nitrogen is present in the fertilizer. One other trick I use when I fertilize my lawn is to add a 4 pound bag of Epsom Salts to my fertilizer spreader. It adds magnesium which plants use to produce chlorophyll (the green substance in plants). My suggestion is to go with the cheap brand. Here is a picture of my lawn to show you my results.
Aeration is way overrated. Only aerate your yard if it has VERY compact soil. Otherwise it's not necessary. I have never aerated my yard in almost 10 years. Aeration, if done too frequently, can damage the yard as much as help it. Again check out my lawn pics for results. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76428164@N02/7015481295/in/photostream/
fane

Postby tramaine16 » June 29th, 2012, 12:21 am

how much epsom salt should I use? 4# in the spreader.....so each time I fill thespreader with fertilizer I add 4#? Sounds like a lot but I've never used it.
tramaine16

Postby bearcban90 » June 29th, 2012, 12:24 am

how much epsom salt should I use? 4# in the spreader.....so each time I fill thespreader with fertilizer I add 4#? Sounds like a lot but I've never used it.
bearcban90

Postby neese » June 29th, 2012, 12:46 am

To be honest I have tried many different brands of fertilizers and have found it does not make much of a difference if you buy some cheap fertilizer or the most expensive one, the results are the same, though you get a satisfaction that you have spent top dollar for your lawn and it will be the best (that can be lived without). There are more important things to consider when you start applying the fertilizer that could make the lawn fail, like is it compacted? when was it last aerated? the soil mixture? If the soil is compacted it is always a good idea to aerate the lawn before using fertilizer, aeration will help fertilizer, nutrients, and water reach the root and will help develop your lawn better. If you do not have access to an aerator you can always rent one from a construction equipment rental company http://www.compactpowercenter.com
neese

Postby giovanny » June 29th, 2012, 12:56 am

do it yourself. remember emil. easter fertilizer-crabgrass control. may-fert and weed control. independence day-fert and grub control. labor day-fert only .use scotts. johnathan green is excellent, but not cheap.
giovanny

Return to Fertiliser