What comes first? Weed Killer, Lawn Seed, Aeration, or Fertilizer?

Postby deortun28 » May 25th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I moved into a house, where the yard is pretty much just weeds. There is barely any real grass anywhere. It's not a very big yard - about 8'x10'.

I have two boys, and I want to fix up the yard. I have very minimal yard work experience.

I wanted to know, should I used the weed killer first, before I aerate, seed and fertilize my yard?

How long after I use that then, should I wait to Aerate my yard?

Or, do I need to Aerate my yard, then seed and fertilize my yard first?
Then after that, how long do I wait to kill off all the weeds?

Will the new grass even grow with all the weeds present?
deortun28

Postby haben » May 25th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Here is what you do:
Get a 2,4-D (lawn weed) herbicide, that will kill the broadleaf weeds, and leave the grass alone. You can get something at a Home Depot or store like that. Spray that over the whole area of your lawn according to label rate. As soon as the herbicide is dried on the plants, you can then aerate, then spread fertilizer, and then seed the grass. You want to rake in the grass seed if you can so it gets good seed to soil contact. I like to cover with a thin layer of grass clippings to prevent the grass seed from drying out or blowing away. Water twice a day for a couple weeks and you should have a pretty good looking lawn eventually. You will want to probalby spray the weeds with the same chemical when you see more weeds growing to keep the yard clean.
haben

Postby ruhleah » May 25th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I would weed kill, aerate, seed, fertilizer will have to wait till the seed has matured and too much in the ground prior to seeding can kill new growth.
ruhleah

Postby durand » May 25th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Good question, sounds like your lawn is in pretty bad shape. So what I would do first is buy a bag or two of lawn fertilizer mixed with weed killer. Do not use ground up as that will result in damage to your whole lawn and new growth will be hard. There are many weed and feed brands out there, as long as it kills the weeds and fertilizes the remaining grass. Throw it on your lawn and let it sit for about two weeks, also make sure you water every now and then. Now you have prepared your lawn for new seed. Before you seed, aerate your lawn, this will allow the seeds to sit in the holes to germinate. Water LOT'S to ensure the seeds grown and and develop fully. Once your seeds have grown into full blades of grass and you are now mowing your lawn, you can add some more weed and feed they call it to help maintain the grass and keep the weeds away.
Here is an example of the weed and feed product.
http://www.yates.com.au/images/au/products/lawn-care/yates-weed-n-feed-granular.jpg
This is just on of the many brands, and you can find it at you local hardware store. Good luck and enjoy your new lawn!
durand

Postby seabright90 » May 25th, 2012, 8:42 pm

I would start by using the weed killer to make as big a dent in the weed growth as possible. I would allow about a week for this process to have effect. Next, I would aerate the soil to prepare it for the lawn seed, which would be your next step. Wait until the seed germinates and is growing well, and then you can use a fertilizer. After the grass seems to be growing on its own, you may need to come back with the weed killer again to get rid of those hard to kill ones.

Good luck and I hope this information helps.
seabright90

Return to Fertiliser