What are some fun things to do when babysitting a 5, 6, 8, & 9 year old summer?

Postby osmont75 » November 23rd, 2012, 3:59 am

I just got a job babysitting 5, 6, and 9 year old girls, and an 8 year old boy, for the whole summer, and I want to have fun activities to do with them everyday. In the morning the older children are going to be at summer school June 13 to July 13, so I will have just the 5 year old for those days. I begin babysitting on the 11th of June until after Labor day, when school starts again. This is the list of activities I have already brainstormed:
dancing
crafts
weaving
decorate sunglasses
paint white shoes
jewelry making
sidewalk painting
tie-dyeing
puzzles
coloring
books
games
cooking
no-bake cookies
ants on a log
decorate cookies
sprinkler
Oobleck or play-dough
movies
movie theater
make a movie tent
songs
talent show
read-aloud time
act out stories
waterballons
walks
card-games
hide and seek
obstacle course
treasure hunt
music days
grow a plant

and I would like to have some more ideas to spare, because it is going to be a long summer. I'm going to be spending about 10 hours a day with these children, 5 days a week, so I want to make the best of it and have lots of fun.
osmont75

Postby luigi » November 23rd, 2012, 4:02 am

Sounds like you have an excellent list going.

I myself just picked up a job as a nanny for an 11 month old on top of teaching at an art summer camp for elementary school kids. So I too have started a massive list of things to do.

Now if you don't have access to a car to take the kids places, that's probably a good thing, with that many kids it'd probably be a handful. But if you do that's great, parks are the best place to take kids that doesn't require money and lets them run around and wear themselves out.

Here are some of the things that aren't too messy, fun to do, and are easy clean up.
Hemp jewelry making - this one is a massive hit in every class I teach
Dioramas of scenery are great if you have a lot of scrap material like fabric, tissue paper, wrapping paper and pipe cleaners and whatnot.
Nature scrapbooks - use some ribbon to tie some construction paper and have the kids collect cleaves and sticks and other things they find outside or at the park to glue in there. Crayon rubbings are fun with this one too.
If you wanna play in the sprinkler, make it fun with some water games. A summer camp favorite is Red Light, Green Light only each kid gets a paper cup of water that they have to get to the other end with without spilling anything.

These are just a few of some time consuming things you can do. Remember that kids tend to get bored easily, but can get burned out fast if they have to much to do. Pick projects that will take up some time and have a mix between fun things that are exciting and new, and maybe just some down time relaxing projects.

You're going to want a break too so don't burn yourself out either and good luck!
luigi

Postby fitzjames46 » November 23rd, 2012, 4:08 am

Papier Mache is a good activity too, and can fill LOTS of hours. You can make frames out of wire, or papier mache over a balloon, etc.

You could also print off some coloring pages for them. Here's a great site with lots of free coloring pages that can be colored in online, or printed...
http://www.coloringpages4u.com
fitzjames46

Postby mustafa47 » November 23rd, 2012, 4:10 am

8 and 9 year old sorta take care of themselves
5 and 6 year olds look to go out to the park and play on swings
& 7 year olds love to play with bugs and stuff
mustafa47

Postby godfredo » November 23rd, 2012, 4:17 am

I have to babysit a 5yr old girl that I do not know. You had some really good ideas and for some others look below;

Outside Orchestra
Tools:
-Sticks
-Rocks
Directions:
Make music and have fun!!

Rock Person
Tools:
-Rocks
-Yarn
-Glue
-Scissors
-Marker
Directions:
Cut lengths of yarn for hair, glue to rock.
Draw the rock a face and name it!! Then just have a good time with your new friends.

Make a Cat
Tools:
-2 Index Cards
-Scissors
-Makers
Directions:
Cut out a head and a tail that will fit comfortably in your cats body in one index card. On the other one bend in half and cut legs, cut 2 slits in the leg card. Insert the head and tail into the slits. Draw a face on your kitty-cat.

Picture Puppets
Tools:
-Animal and People Pictures
-Craft Sticks
-Glue
-Glue
-Cardboard
-Scissors
Directions:
Cut out animals and people, glue on cardboard. Then glue cardboard
onto the craft sticks.
Masking Tape Trail
Tools:
-Masking Tape
Directions:
Put masking tape on the floor in different shapes and sizes and have child try to get across the end line. You can use a timer or just race!!

Picture Plates
Tools:
-Small Plates
-Makers
Directions:
Draw a face on your plate then hold up to your face and you have a new face!!! ?
Tip:
Make emotions on your plate faces to show how you are feeling.

A Home Zoo
Tools:
-Stuffed animals
-Brown paper sack or box
-Scissors
-Glue or tape
-Makers
-Index Cards
Directions:
Cut a square window in the bag or box. Put a stuffed animal in the box or bag. Then take the index card and write the name of the stuffed animal and what the animal is. Tape or glue on the bag/box under the window. Repeat with different animals and then go check out your cool new home zoo.

Bead Necklaces
Tools:
-Play dough
-Yarn
Directions:
Make 12 (or you wished amount) of small balls of play dough all different colors. Stick through tooth pick and spin around in the center. Let dry….
When dry put on yarn, tie around neck and you have a beautiful new necklace!! ?

Shaving Cream Fun
Tools:
-Saving cream
-Hard surface
Directions:
Spray a bunch of shaving cream on you surface then make whatever you want and have fun!! ?
godfredo

Return to Irrigation