Vegan box turtle issues?

Vegan box turtle issues?

Postby naal74 » March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm

My baby boxie is a very picky eater. He refuses any type of worm, ball bugs and slugs. He will sometimes eat spinach if he is persuaded long enough. He likes cherry tomatoes pretty well. But I made the mistake of treating the little guy to strawberry and he won't eat anything else. He used to eat his pellets but now all he wants is strawberry. I tried feeding him spinach and he refused. He also snubbed his romaine lettuce and pellets. I know that strawberry doesn't provide everything he needs but I don't know what else to do.
naal74

Vegan box turtle issues?

Postby naoto94 » March 19th, 2014, 8:16 pm

You might try squishing the strawberry and covering pellets and other food with a litle juice. if he eats them that way just lessen the juice till he eats them normal. Try feeding him papaya instead of strawberry. Box turtles love it and it is great food for them, vitamin A and calcium to phosphorus level is 4/1 . They need 2/1 or better for good absorption.

It is also possible if you give him strawberry every day for a while (that won't hurt his nutrition for a week or so) he will get tired of it and then eat other things.
naoto94

Vegan box turtle issues?

Postby hasan » March 19th, 2014, 8:21 pm

when i first saw the title i thought it was going to be about wanting to raise him vegan

thats food fixation & its rather common
dont feed him for a few days, he will eat other things
if it really becomes a problem,
this is copied from one of my answers>>>
you should only offer other foods for a while it will learn to eat them i had this issue with an ornate box turtle i rescued from Clist was only feed worms for 3yrs
these are the things i did

i had to starve him into eating other foods,
force fed him some pellet food ((tapped his nose,he opened mouth i stuffed in a pellet))
he had to see my other turtles eating veggies,fruits,pellets and live stuff
it prolly took me a good 2 months to get him to readily eat whatever foods i put in
hasan

Return to Tomatoes