Do tomato plants in pots die in winter?

Postby vance » July 21st, 2013, 2:03 pm

This year I'm planting one inside (pot in greenhouse) and one outside, the intention with the one inside is to have one to take to my next house when I move this coming new year - will the plant die or does it just stop producing fruit ?

What size pot would you use for a Beefsteak Tomato and / or a Money Maker

I am in south England

cheers
vance

Postby kingswell79 » July 21st, 2013, 2:08 pm

Tomato plants die off each autumn,when they have finished producing.Usual procedure is to sow seed in late winter,in a greenhouse and grow on fresh plants.
Pots are not required,plants may be placed in a grow bag,usually three to a bag.Alternatively,use the ring method,placing each plant in a pot of compost standing on aggregate in a greenhouse.
A 10/12 pot of JI compost would be adequate and suit either of the varieties mentioned.
kingswell79

Postby kosmas99 » July 21st, 2013, 2:20 pm

Tomato plants do not survive the winter in the UK. It will stop producing fruit and die.

If you don't want to grow straight into the soil in the greenhouse, use a 10-15L filled with potting compost, or a grow bag. Plant out into the pot when the young plant is 15-20cm high and the flowers of the first truss are beginning to open. Water before planting.

Keep the plants well watered and feed with a soluble tomato fertiliser such as Tomorite.
kosmas99

Postby warley98 » July 21st, 2013, 2:29 pm

tomato plants are tender perennials which means they die in frost very easily. It doesn't matter whether they are in a pot or not.

Since I never lived in an entirely frost free climate I don't have experience with growing tomatoes as perennials, but I suspect they don't overwinter that well.

I would suggest to start new tomato plants next spring.
warley98

Postby juha » July 21st, 2013, 2:33 pm

Tomatoes are tropical plants and will die in winter unless they are kept in a greenhouse. I'm afraid that the outside one is going to be toast, and the inside one may die unless you take great care while moving it. Really, you'd be better off starting new plants at your new home in the spring.

Beefsteak tomatoes are very large plants with large root systems, so you'd need a big pot (say, a 5 gallon pot per plant).
juha

Postby alec48 » July 21st, 2013, 2:43 pm

Yes. Tomato plants are annuals. They grow from seed, flower and fruit all in one year, then die. You can grow them in 10 inch pots.

It is possible to take cuttings from tomato plants and keep them over the winter. However, ones grown from seed are more successful.
alec48

Postby amadeo » July 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

They will be dead before the winter comes along and you won't be taking any with you.

As for the size of the pot, they will live in any size - just make sure they are watered with food and that they can't topple over.

KD
amadeo

Postby matthew » July 21st, 2013, 3:01 pm

I'm pretty sure it will die in the winter. You need to save some seeds from your ripe tomatoes and grow more plants next year.
matthew

Return to Tomatoes