My New Turtle Doesn't Want to Eat ?.?

Postby mariel » December 23rd, 2012, 11:57 am

I bought my turtle yesterday & My new red eared slider does not want to eat anything, ( carrot, tomato.. ) and he spends most of his time in the water.. is it normal for a turtle to sleep in the water considering there's a basking area right next to him ?.
he doesn't swim around much, he just stays at one certain place ..
what type of food do you consider giving him ?. or what should i do to get him to eat ?.
mariel

Postby banjiman » December 23rd, 2012, 11:57 am

I bought my turtle yesterday & My new red eared slider does not want to eat anything, ( carrot, tomato.. ) and he spends most of his time in the water.. is it normal for a turtle to sleep in the water considering there's a basking area right next to him ?.
what type of food do you consider giving him ?. or what should i do to get him to eat ?.
banjiman

Postby vern » December 23rd, 2012, 12:05 pm

Hi! Young turtles' diet consists mostly of animal matter, like dried shrimp, dried krill, meal worms, earthworms . . . the list goes on and on (mine especially likes chicken (unseasoned). However, if your turtle is an adult, it will mostly eat plant matter, such as tomato, dark leafy greens (no iceberg lettuce), carrot, dandelion greens, and many more. Make sure you also provide good quality turtle food pellets, though these shouldn't make up your turtles entire diet.

Make sure you have a proper tank set up, too. If you have him in one of those tiny containers that they sell as "Turtle Lagoons" or another silly name like that (and since you said he had a basking area, I doubt you do have him in one, but I just had to say it), get him out of it immediately. Also make sure you have the proper water temperature. Red eared sliders need a water temperature of 75 to 80 degrees, or they can't digest their food properly.

Since you just bought him, I wouldn't worry that he's not eating yet. He's probably under a lot of stress right now, and he'll likely settle in within a few days and warm up to you, and his food. Trust me, red eared sliders have gigantic appetites!

Hope I helped!
vern

Postby hildebrand13 » December 23rd, 2012, 12:07 pm

hi, give him small worms.Also he might just need time to adjust to his new home.Make sure the temp. is where it should be-good luck
hildebrand13

Return to Tomatoes