Job as a cashier?? Help?

Job as a cashier?? Help?

Postby seely » March 18th, 2014, 11:31 am

Okay well, Im 18 and I'm supposed to start work at the grocery store soon. It's my first job and I'm really really nervous! I feel like Im never gonna know what to do or I'll mess up everything. At our store, the cashiers work the register and bag the food. Is that a pretty easy job? I have anxiety disorder (and other things) so that makes it ten times more nerve racking than it really is. I'm scared. Any advice?
Thanks!
seely

Job as a cashier?? Help?

Postby garey » March 18th, 2014, 11:36 am

I did a stint working as a cashier and customer service desk. My advice is to remember that people bring their own personal baggage and dump it on the cashier.....don't take it personal and don't apologize to people for things out of your control. You will find that you will speak and have a nice small on your face as you great customers, and some people are just grouchy grouches. Don't take it personal.

Keys to bagging:
1. Bag frozen and cold items together (i.e. don't put a frozen bag of peas in the same bag with a box of cereal)
2. Don't place hard items on top of eggs, bread, bananas, tomatoes, etc.
3. Bag household items like cleaner, and such separate from food.

Those tips may seem like common sense, but some people really do bag like this and of course...then the customer gets upset. To prevent a customer from telling you how to bag, if you know how to bag well, this is just one less thing you would have to deal with from a customer.

Overall, I learned a lot from my experiences as a cashier......and while you will get a few customers who make you want to quit lol Most customers will be nice!

Good luck!
garey

Job as a cashier?? Help?

Postby rye » March 18th, 2014, 11:42 am

I did a stint working as a cashier and customer service desk. My advice is to remember that people bring their own personal baggage and dump it on the cashier.....don't take it personal and don't apologize to people for things out of your control. You will find that you will speak and have a nice small on your face as you great customers, and some people are just grouchy grouches. Don't take it personal.

Keys to bagging:
1. Bag frozen and cold items together (i.e. don't put a frozen bag of peas in the same bag with a box of cereal)
2. Don't place hard items on top of eggs, bread, bananas, tomatoes, etc.
3. Bag household items like cleaner, and such separate from food.

Those tips may seem like common sense, but some people really do bag like this and of course...then the customer gets upset. To prevent a customer from telling you how to bag, if you know how to bag well, this is just one less thing you would have to deal with from a customer.

Overall, I learned a lot from my experiences as a cashier......and while you will get a few customers who make you want to quit lol Most customers will be nice!

Good luck!
Hi there I think the best way is to ask that is the best that you can do better to ask than to get in troble its normal to be nurvise every body goes through that an bring your best every day as best as you can I hope it helps
rye

Return to Tomatoes