How can I dress canned tomato sauce up?

Postby sike » March 16th, 2014, 9:33 am

I have a ton of canned DelMonte tomato sauce but Im not sure how to use it. Is there a way I can dress it up to use for like a spaghetti sauce?
sike

Postby noach65 » March 16th, 2014, 9:35 am

I have a ton of canned DelMonte tomato sauce but Im not sure how to use it. Is there a way I can dress it up to use for like a spaghetti sauce?
tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce are two different things . . . simmer your tomato sauce with lots of herbs and spices. Oregano, basil, garlic & onion powders, parsley, salt, pepper . . if you like it hot, add some flaked peppers. Throw in some sauteed chopped bell pepper, browned meat or sausage (Italian is the best), mushrooms, shredded zucchini . . . let it simmer a while (the longer, the better). In the meantime, cook your pasta (al dente), then after you've put them together, throw on some Romano and/or Parmesan (fresh, if you can) or the shake-can type. Yummy!!
noach65

Postby scelftun73 » March 16th, 2014, 9:40 am

If it's really labeled tomato "sauce" then you don't really have to dress it up at all - "tomato sauce" and "spaghetti sauce" are pretty much the same thing. Stick your finger in it and give it a taste; it might need salt, and could maybe also improve if you add olive oil, pepper, other spices like basil (fresh is best). I also like to add a few red pepper flakes to give it a kick.
scelftun73

Postby gikhrist92 » March 16th, 2014, 9:46 am

I don't know how to make it into spaghetti sauce, but I do have a great dish you can use it in... all you have to have is hamburger meat, the sauce and some french cut style green beans. Brown the meat like you would for sloppy joe's, pour in the sauce and french cut green beans and put a lid on the pan for a little while... we don't really measure just estimate:D It is my favorite meal.
gikhrist92

Postby cam5 » March 16th, 2014, 9:49 am

Spaghetti Sauce~

Herbs you can add: Dill, Parsly, Corriander, Green Onion
Spices:Any type to your liking (i put in chicken cubes sometimes~) Salt/Pepper/Cummin
Misc: Honey, Garlic

Just do whatever feels right and follow your gut! You cant go wrong
cam5

Postby ernestino39 » March 16th, 2014, 9:56 am

Add in fined diced onions, pressed garlic, chopped parsley, and chopped basil. You can add anything else to it so it tastes similar to spaghetti sauce. I also add white wine and let it cook down to become thicker.
ernestino39

Postby musaid » March 16th, 2014, 10:03 am

Use a bit of herbs such basil or a bayleaf to start with. You could also try a few spices depending on your taste and of course if needed a bit of salt and pepper
musaid

Postby atu » March 16th, 2014, 10:09 am

Add oregano & or basil,maybe some capsicum etc.I assume it has onion in it,if not add some.
atu

Return to Tomatoes