Do Americans and the UK eat the following things?

Postby haim » March 12th, 2014, 10:49 am

I'm Australian and these are normal foods to me:
Meat pies (we only have them for dinner every now and then, normally we'd have them for lunch when we're out for the day at the footy or something) (Do you have party pies?)
Stirfries- we have them roughly once a week
Curries- a couple times a week, generally butter chicken, korma curry or a thai coconut curry, but it varies from house to house
Pasta- napolitana, carbonara or spag bol often, but it varies
Dim Sims
Fairy bread
Anzacs
Hamburgers- we generally make up the meat patties and then cook them on the barbie, then serve them in bread or rolls with tomato sauce, onion, tomato, lettuce and cheese
Light and Tangy chips
haim

Postby aelfric30 » March 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Meat pies are more UK (specifically Scotland and Cornwall in England). Samosas - similar to meat pies but filled with peas and potatoes are more popular in Canada and the US
Stir-fries - ALL the time in North America and probably in the UK as well
Curries - popular in both, but in North America there is no odd expression "let's have an Indian" nor do North Americans call such dishes "curries" (usually they call them by dish - korma, butter chicken, cheese cubes with spinach, and dals - pulses - are most popular. In the UK, biryani is eaten as an everyday dish)
Pasta - quite popular in both places
Dim Sum - more popular on the West Coast of North America, especially for a weekend brunch
Fairy bread - I have no idea what that even is! (Is it like bread spread with butter and then sprinkled with chocolate rods?)
Anzac biscuits - yes, again on the West Coast of North America
Hamburgers - yes, but they are often called "beefburgers" in the UK
Light and tangy chips (do you mean something like "vinegar and salt potato chips/crisps"? If so, yes.
aelfric30

Postby dalziel7 » March 12th, 2014, 10:59 am

Meat pies are more UK (specifically Scotland and Cornwall in England). Samosas - similar to meat pies but filled with peas and potatoes are more popular in Canada and the US
Stir-fries - ALL the time in North America and probably in the UK as well
Curries - popular in both, but in North America there is no odd expression "let's have an Indian" nor do North Americans call such dishes "curries" (usually they call them by dish - korma, butter chicken, cheese cubes with spinach, and dals - pulses - are most popular. In the UK, biryani is eaten as an everyday dish)
Pasta - quite popular in both places
Dim Sum - more popular on the West Coast of North America, especially for a weekend brunch
Fairy bread - I have no idea what that even is! (Is it like bread spread with butter and then sprinkled with chocolate rods?)
Anzac biscuits - yes, again on the West Coast of North America
Hamburgers - yes, but they are often called "beefburgers" in the UK
Light and tangy chips (do you mean something like "vinegar and salt potato chips/crisps"? If so, yes.
Im from america and i love pasta, i dont like hamburgers (but i like the ones from innout burger),Stirfry is the bomb but i go out to eat that at like mongolian restaurants and of course chinese places, we eat chips too. I dont know what that other stuff is sorry D:
dalziel7

Postby eairrsidh8 » March 12th, 2014, 11:08 am

We only eat pasta and burgers, and stirfries. No idea what anzacs, dirty sims, and fairy breads are.
eairrsidh8

Postby yves32 » March 12th, 2014, 11:14 am

yes, we just call it something different. and we do not put candy sprinkles on buttered bread...we just use honey or jam; anzacs.....we call that an oatmeal cookie.
yves32

Return to Tomatoes