The lower leaves on my tomatoes and squash are turning prematurely yellow. Why? What to do about it?

The lower leaves on my tomatoes and squash are turning prematurely yellow. Why? What to do about it?

Postby lachlan » October 19th, 2012, 7:22 pm

i am using hardware-bought garden soil.
lachlan

Postby fernleigh » October 19th, 2012, 7:32 pm

It could be something as simple as a lack of nitrogen in your soil. But in your case if you are using new store bought soil you should be fine there.

The first thing I would check is if the soil is wet enough, you might not be watering your plants enough. Yellow tomato leaves could be a sign of lack of water.

When tomato plants leaves turn yellow, it could be from a fungus or bacterial problem or other garden diseases. If disease is the case, you will want to treat this accordingly.

Sometimes yellow leaves on tomato plants mean that there is a pest problem that needs to be handled. You might have caterpillars or worms affecting the health of the plant and may need to handle this issue with an organic pesticide.
fernleigh

Postby pedro » October 19th, 2012, 7:34 pm

There are a number of reasons from to much water or to little. Could be mineral deficiencies, poor soil conditions or a virus etc. Here is a whole list of garden diseases.

http://www.ezfix101.com/2011/12/how-to-identify-garden-diseases.html
pedro

Postby feltin » October 19th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Likely a sign of disease or too much water. If the leaves are too low on the plant so that the water hits the soil and then splashes up on them then this can give them disease. It is best to strip all leaves from the lower parts of your tomato plants at least 6 inches or whatever you need to prevent the soil and water from splashing back up. This should help greatly! :-)

Steve,
Florida Herb House
feltin

Postby ingalls » October 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm

You could be over-watering them, or the soil is not draining well.
ingalls

Return to Tomatoes