Piles of dirt in my yard?

Postby troy » November 4th, 2011, 3:05 pm

For the past year or so, when I go to mow my lawn there have been big piles of dirt appearing in my yard. I have excavated them and there are no holes or disturbances around them just grass, as if the dirt has just been piled there. I have seen from others that it might be moles or gophers but I am starting to doubt this seeing that these mounds are quite larger then the ones I have seen in pictures. also were they appear frequently (in my back yard) the soil is quite dark but the foundation and front yard of my house has red soil, so the soil does not even match so its not like its being dug up from that area. Its not a big deal I am just worried the dirt might dull my mower blades and its just a little weird.
troy

Postby stanhop » November 4th, 2011, 3:09 pm

that is really bizarre. i'm really not sure where it would come from. but in the case of your lawn mower, i wouldn't worry about the dirt dulling the blade. i've had my trusty rider for years and it still works like a charm, despite all the rocks i've run over. lol.
stanhop

Postby jenarae » November 4th, 2011, 3:11 pm

That's an odd one. The question is if you remove the pile of dirt do you just find an undisturbed area of grass. If you do, then someone or thing is randomly dumping dirt in your yard. if the grass below is damaged than you have something digging from below. The color of the soil does not determine if it is from your yard. When most houses are built depending on where you are in the country, fill dirt is brought in so you may have dark soil deeper in the ground.
jenarae

Postby carroll43 » November 4th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Sounds like pocket gophers to me. They will leave a nice big pile of dirt on the top of your lawn. The difference in color could be because the soil is coming from much deeper down than the topsoil you see. The reason you can't seem to find anything when you move the soil is because the gopher has a hole only a couple inches wide and they back fill the hole after they have removed the soil from their tunnel project. If you were to remove the pile of soil and look VERY closely, you would find a small circle that is just dirt. But like I said it is often hard to find. Depending on how much they have backfilled the tunnel entrance, you can sometimes use a sharp stick or fence post and poke it into the soil and find the hollow tunnel. Then you dig down to the open tunnel and put a scoop of gopher bait down the tunnel and carefully cover the hole back up.
carroll43

Postby cawrdav » November 4th, 2011, 3:20 pm

if you live in the south you might have armadillos.
cawrdav

Postby bennett71 » November 4th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Ants and termites also make mounds. These can be quite size-able. Ants can move silt and this particle size sorting might account for the color change.

You can now buy a nematode treatment for ants so as not to use poisons in organic gardening.
http://www.the-organic-gardener.com
bennett71

Postby kaysan » November 4th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Ginny is correct , they are pocket gophers. At the top of the mound is a slight depression. If you dig down you will find there burrow. You can ether trap them or poison them.
They will not go away on there own.
kaysan

Postby alden51 » November 4th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Check your foundation and see if there are any tannish/brown vertical lines. If so, they are termites. Call an exterminator immediately. I learned the hard way that termites can do thousands of dollars worth of damage in a very short time.
alden51

Return to Lawns and Turf