How to reincorporate my summer crops back into soil for fall crops?

Postby kevyn61 » February 13th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I have tomatoes, corn, squash, etc that are all rpoducing now but will drie out soon. I do not have a mulcher or compost pile. Should I just turn them under the soil or is that too disturbing to the soil and would it freeze up the nitrogen because they are too "green" ? Wha should I do with the Large amount or green waste? I was thinking of just putting it in my green bin and going to get more organic compost, would that be best? Someone with some science/permaculture knowledge or that knows of good sites for this would help.
kevyn61

Postby heortwode » February 13th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Tilling them under while they are still green will add nitrogen, not freeze it up. Waiting until they're dry will change them to "browns", and that will lock up nitrogen. You could till them under now, especially if you're not going to plant a succession crop in that space. Then they'd have a chance to break down over the winter and the soil will be great in the spring.

Or you could start a new compost pile right now.
heortwode

Postby ruhleah » February 14th, 2014, 12:04 am

Mostly, it depends on what is available to you. I assume you have limited space and are in an urban area, so I would suggest you let your plants thoroughly dry, then turn them under, adding a bit of nitrogen rich manure or possibly alfalfa--it's high in nitrogen. Turn the mix over, then cover it with newspaper and soil for the winter. Next spring, it'll be easier to turn and break up. Have fun.
ruhleah

Return to Permaculture