Advise on proposing a new university requirement!?

Postby buster » March 14th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Greetings people! I am a student at a small university (about 3000 students). Our campus's mission statement strives for sustainability, however I feel that their actions are very contradictory. They just started a new football program and constructed a multi-million dollar facility. The University owns a piece of property in a rural area (about 4 blocks from campus) that is an organic farm and a model for sustainable living practices (I work there). However they keep cutting funds for it and it just drives me up the wall! Students before me have come and made change (we stopped selling plastic water bottles, we now send food wastes to a pig farmer and we have a pretty good recycling program). I want to follow in their footsteps and push the University to enact even deeper forms of sustainability. One of the ideas I want to act on now is requiring every graduate to take a minimum of one environmental course. For example, if you are a politics major, take environmental politics, if you're a psychology major-eco-psychology, Bio/chem-Env. Science, English-Env Literature, History-Env. History and so on (luckily we have a wide variety of env. courses available already). I would also like to get the school to increase funding for the farm (or at least stop cutting it). This will be the first time I try to push for anything like this so I wanted to hear some advise you may have on presenting my ideas to students/staff/administrators in an effective way.
buster

Postby lorren89 » March 14th, 2014, 8:23 pm

"One of the ideas I want to act on now is requiring every graduate to take a minimum of one environmental course."

Advice?
Quit pushing your leftist political ideas on defenseless students.
lorren89

Postby kelby94 » March 14th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Honestly, the course requirement just isn't going to happen. However, your ideas are sound, and you should keep on pushing the school to more environmentally friendly practices. One thing that's been implemented at many colleges is places to fill up a reusable water bottle all over campus.
kelby94

Return to Permaculture