Will my ball python be ok?

Postby bronson41 » March 18th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I have been feeding my 2 month old ball in his tank which has little woodchips in it since he gets stressed when i move him to the other container. But i have had him for 2 weeks this is the second time feeding him. I put cardboard under the mouse the prevent the woodchips from getting on him but he took the mouse off the cardboard onto the woodchips and ate a few big pieces. When i saw the woodchips in his mouth i started to take the top of his tank off, but he ate them! Im not sure if he will be able to digest them. Does anyone know if some woodchips would hurt him or will he be fine?
bronson41

Postby fidele » March 18th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I have been feeding my 2 month old ball in his tank which has little woodchips in it since he gets stressed when i move him to the other container. But i have had him for 2 weeks this is the second time feeding him. I put cardboard under the mouse the prevent the woodchips from getting on him but he took the mouse off the cardboard onto the woodchips and ate a few big pieces. When i saw the woodchips in his mouth i started to take the top of his tank off, but he ate them! Im not sure if he will be able to digest them. Does anyone know if some woodchips would hurt him or will he be fine?
Woodchip is cheap, nasty and dangerous to most reptiles.

It has sharp corners and edges that can cut the insides of the snake and it is totally indigestible.
Too much will cause a build-up in the gut and a potentially fatal gut impaction.

Get rid of the woodchip and replace it with either FINE Orchid Bark or Coconut Fiber. They are soft materials, semi-digestible and will pass through the gut easily if eaten.
http://www.petmountain.com/photos/product/giant/114420S510332/reptile-soil-bedding/eco-earth-coconut-fiber-substrate-3-pack.jpg
or
http://de.zoomed.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/RB-8-Repti-Bark.jpg

I suggest you keep your python on paper until he has pooped so that you can check that the woodchips have passed through him. If they don't come out with the poop, e-mail me at [email protected], and I will explain the treatment for removing the woodchips to you.

======================================…
I would not recommend that you use live rodents, they can do a lot of damage to a snake in a confined space.
Place the food on newspaper or a plastic tray so as not to pick up any substrate. If the snake will just go to the rodent and start to eat it - FINE !
If it shows little or no interest in feeding use defrosted rodents held by the base of the tail with proper "feeding tongs" - move the mouse around the head of the snake and try and provoke it into striking at the mouse. It may take 30 minutes or more to get a new snake to strike.

What size rodent to feed?
For snakes under 4 feet - measure the widest part of the head of the snake - - - the rodent should be twice as fat as that measurement.
For larger boas and pythons the rodent should be no fatter than widest part of the body of the snake.

You should ideally only feed one rodent every 7 days to a snake this size.
A "normal" meal for a snake should take about 10 minutes to ingest and swallow.
If the snake eats quicker than this then the mouse is too small.
Next feed offer the next size up.
http://frozenreptile.co.uk/image/frozen-mice.jpg
http://torontoasf.ca/resources/frozen-feeder-mice-rats-natals-asf_4544473.jpg?timestamp=1333050505063
I suggest you offer a defrosted adult mouse warmed naturally to room temperature.

Providing you supply the correct temperature gradient a snake will digest a meal in 5 days; you then let the gut rest for 48 hours and then feed the next meal.

fidele

Postby dionte » March 18th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Oh goodness, you really shouldn't have wood chips! You can kill him!!!!! He can choke on them when he feeds, they can get caught under his scales, and they can be a pain in the *** to clean up. Try soil or natural dirt :) it's more natural, and can store heat for him.
it is much better for the snake. And you should feed him in a separate container! So many safety hazards in his tank if u feed there. He can choke on te chips, decorations, and if you reach in to handle him he will mistake your hand for food, and bite uou.
Please take the chip out as soon as possible.
They might hurt him of he eats too much.
Tear up his insides, and block his bowles.
Try to change his bedding ASAP!
Goo luck sweetie!
dionte

Postby leoline56 » March 18th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Listen i have a bal python that is 6ft long and ive had him ever since he was 1 foot he needs to be taken out of the cage and put in something like a big card board box so he has space to move. then drop the rat or mouse right in front of his head so he sees it and captures it. when he gets older you will feed him like every month or 2. no the wood chips will not hurt him
leoline56

Return to Orchids