Should I trim my orchid now?

Postby alasdair » February 1st, 2014, 10:33 pm

It was one of those mother's day orchids, but I got it when it was on sale. So the flowers were all droopy and falling off. Now all the flowers are gone. But the stem isn't turning brown or anything. It still looks a dark green color.

I know you're supposed to trim it after it flowers, but I'm not too sure when. Also, I'm not sure of the exact type it is. I bought it at Walmart and it had a smartphone scan tag instead of one that I could actually use.

So should I trim it now? Or wait? I don't want to kill it or anything.
alasdair

Postby noach65 » February 1st, 2014, 10:33 pm

It was one of those mother's day orchids, but I got it when it was on sale. So the flowers were all droopy and falling off. Now all the flowers are gone. But the stem isn't turning brown or anything. It still looks a dark green color.

I know you're supposed to trim it after it flowers, but I'm not too sure when. Also, I'm not sure of the exact type it is. I bought it at Walmart and it had a smartphone scan tag instead of one that I could actually use.

So should I trim it now? Or wait? I don't want to kill it or anything.
noach65

Postby finghin » February 1st, 2014, 10:41 pm

I would leave it alone. These guys have been doing their thing for, what, a couple kzillion years, right. Do you really think that they need someone to come along and cut their stem off so they can grow more flowers??? Of course you don't, so leave it alone and see what happens. In fact if you cut it at the wrong place that stem may die off and it could take a couple years for it to grow a new one. Yes, I said a couple of years!! Add a brace where needed to help them support the flowers they do produce but other than that I suggest hands off.
finghin

Postby regenweald45 » February 1st, 2014, 10:49 pm

You guessed right! You should cut it at the kiki, the stalk where the flowers bloom. Orchids are plants that need a little bit of attention!
regenweald45

Postby aaric94 » February 1st, 2014, 11:02 pm

If it is still green, i would not recommend trimming it. But, u can.
aaric94

Return to Orchids