Should I get an orchid and how do I keep an orchid?

Postby sakima76 » February 4th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Hello people of the plant section *waves*

Recently, I have noticed how wonderful plants are and I want an orchid. First of all, I have never looked after one, any tips? How do I keep it healthy/flowering yada yada yada and stuff like that. Note that I live in Scotland the most freezingest place ever. So how do I give it sunlight do I need to get a special lamp or something? Oh and what one should I get and where do I get it?
sakima76

Postby atty » February 4th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Orchids can be quite tricky and fussy to grow if you don't know what to do. But they're fun if you like a challenge. Orchids naturally grow in tropical regions, so you have to keep that in mind. They like reasonable warm home temperatures. The most common and easy type of orchid for a beginner to grow is a Phalaenopsis orchid. If there is a garden shop in your area you might find some of these for sale. If not, they are easy to find for sale in online shops. I have bought a number of orchids from ebay. There are literally thousands of types of orchids, in varying degrees of easy or hard to grow.

Orchids are usually planted in a loose substrate of small bark pieces and/or moss. Sometimes the pot will have holes in the sides. This is because they need to be well drained. Orchids HATE to be sitting in water. So it is a common practice to have your orchid pot sitting on a small tray of pebbles, which help to prevent it standing in water and also helps keep it humid as the water evaporates. When you water an orchid, the water has to be not too cold and not too hot. The way I learned is run the water over your wrist the same way as if you were checking the temperature of a baby's bottle. Make sure the water is lukewarm, not hot or cold. I like to get the faucet running at the right temperature, then hold the plant under the faucet and let the water run through it for a minute or two before setting it on its pebble tray to drain.

Flowering can be challenging and mysterious. I have had luck getting orchids to flower under bright artificial lights. But my mom has an orchid which sits in a window that faces east and gets morning sun, and it has flowered for her more than once. So you will just have to experiment, trial and error, perhaps get advice from others, to see what will work for you in your home.

Below I've pasted two links to some good sites with more info that should be helpful to get you started. I'll warn you, orchids are ADDICTING. Once you can keep one alive for awhile, you'll want two. Then three, then four...etc. Lol.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
atty

Postby tudor85 » February 4th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Orchids are hard to keep living year after year since they need very high humidity more then most people would want in their house. If you have a green house this will keep it going. Most people just buy a new one each year, they aren't all that expensive and look nice when blooming.
tudor85

Return to Orchids