How much water to give an Orchid?

Postby osker79 » February 20th, 2014, 12:49 am

Okay, so I got an Orchid for my birthday. I was wondering how much water I should give it. I was told one or two ice cubes a week. It is a SMALL pot, so it would make sense. Should I give it water everyday, every other day, or the ice cubes. Thanks! :)
osker79

Postby maralyn » February 20th, 2014, 12:51 am

http://www.orchidcarelady.com/orchid-care-ice-cubes-why-you-should-not-use-ice-to-water-your-orchids/
maralyn

Postby creketun » February 20th, 2014, 1:00 am

I always had that problem too with my orchid. It was potted in the free draining medium and the water just ran right through the pot so I was never sure if the orchid needed watering or not.

I have since re potted it in some sphagnum moss and not only does it seem happier, I can always tell when it needs water when the moss feels dry to the touch. You will also find that the sphagnum moss holds water for a longer period of time so you don't have to water it as often.
creketun

Postby eliseo » February 20th, 2014, 1:09 am

Orchids can be fussy flowers to cultivate; but the attractive blooms they yield are more than worth the effort. Here are several recommendations that will help your orchids to thrive.

Growing Medium: Orchids won't grow well in regular potting soil. This type of growing medium is usually too dense and can collect throughout the plant's roots and suffocate them. Rather than using ordinary potting soil, you'll need to use a specific orchid growing medium made up of a mixture of organic and inorganic materials. The orchids roots should be kept well ventilated by making certain that the medium isn't packed too densely and that you select a pot that is the right size for the plant. You don't want a container that's too large because it will hold a lot of liquid that your orchid doesn't want, which can bring about root rot.

Orchid Care - http://www.perennial-gardens.com/flower-articles/tips-for-growing-orchids.htm

Basics of Orchids - http://www.perennial-gardens.com/flower-articles/basics-of-orchid-care.htm
eliseo

Postby emlyn » February 20th, 2014, 1:13 am

It's depend upon orchid type most orchids are from tropical regions, a common assumption of novice orchid growers is that orchids need to be watered frequently, even daily. This is not the case. Over watering is a common beginner’s mistake, and is one of the surest ways to kill an orchid.
emlyn

Postby dorren55 » February 20th, 2014, 1:18 am

Just give it some water once a week, it's roots need to dry out completely between waterings.
dorren55

Return to Orchids