How do I care for my orchid plant once the flowers have fallen off?

Postby gotzon78 » January 2nd, 2014, 2:05 am

I have a beauty, bought as a gift a month ago. There are two stems one with 10 flower heads and the other with 7 and an unopened bud. I don't give it much water and it seems to like that. No instructions came with it so I don't know its name or anything about it's care.

All I can add is that it is 21 inches tall and the flowers are mainly white and are 3 inches across. There are some purple patches on the each white flower

Are any of you able to recognise what species if might be and can you give me information on how to care for it. I'm assuming that it should grow again next year.
gotzon78

Postby cibor57 » January 2nd, 2014, 2:09 am

Orchids need to be watered 1x per week but make sure all water drains out. They hate sitting in water. Your Orchid needs to be in indirect sunlight never right in the sun. Indirect does not mean no sun though. Basically a window that gets bright light all day without the sun beating on it. I put my Orchids outside for the summer under my porch. They need a cool spout to get them to rebloom. I bring them inside when night temps hit 58 degrees. They do not like temps above 85 degrees. When the flowers are done blooming do not cut the stem unless the entire stem turns brown and dry. Usually you will get more flowers on that same stem plus new stems. If the stem dies than cut it at the bottom. Do not feed it. They dont do well with store food. Water with room temp water. Without a picture it is hard to say what type you have.
cibor57

Postby rodd87 » January 2nd, 2014, 2:19 am

these orchids like to be watered a little bit. They get their water and food from the air. But they do need watering. Just a small amount once a week. they like sunny locations. Not up against a window tho. The blooms will fall off and new stems will come up and they will bloom again from that. Mine is on it's second stem. So many flowers are on it that I fear it will tumble over! I love it!! Google Orchids and you'll find out all you need to know. Enjoy.
rodd87

Postby padgett » January 2nd, 2014, 2:25 am

the orchid is perfectly fine the flowers will grow back. they fall off and regrow each year but my opinion is to buy an aqua globe. those things work amazingly i have 9 of them and my plants are as healthy as ever.
padgett

Return to Orchids