Can I have some help on older post hardcore instrumentation?

Postby maeadam » September 21st, 2013, 12:31 am

I've been writing music for a long time, and lately I've wanted to try doing something similar to a lot of bands I've been listening to lately like the saddest landscape, saetia, remainder, old gray, pg. 99, orchid, pianos become the teeth, etc. I can understand any theory you throw at me, if you don't know any theory I don't mind either. I just need to know some commonly found concepts instrumentwise.
maeadam

Postby elvet » September 21st, 2013, 12:33 am

Those bands aren't post-hardcore, those are screamo bands.

Screamo is a sub-genre of emo, emo being a sub-genre of hardcore. Emo is characterised by its emotional lyrical content and its focus on slightly more melodic music than regular hardcore, and screamo is more or less a more aggressive style of emo.

Post-hardcore is a style of experimental hardcore, in which bands blend genres like alternative rock and noise rock into the hardcore sound. Bands like Husker Du, Fugazi, Hoover, Jawbox, The Jesus Lizard, etc. were post-hardcore bands.

You just need to listen to the bands you want to learn the styles of, maybe look up tabs, watch live videos and if you're a good enough musician it won't be too hard for you to learn and emulate the styles.
elvet

Postby yves32 » September 21st, 2013, 12:40 am

Say4nything: I actually preferred your answer, and I think it helped me a lot more than the other. I've been doing so much theory that I almost forgot about that part of the music, thanks
yves32

Return to Orchids