Moldy compost good or bad?

Postby kendell21 » October 5th, 2012, 12:22 pm

im composting in a 5gallon bucket and the weather is all bipolar some days it's raining some it's hot as hell. anyways yesterday i covered my compost and today i opened it up to air it out and turn it it was hot but their were white fuzzy mold growing at the top. im wondering why this is happening and is it okay?

their are no bugs in it and the compost was hot and still moist. i turned it and gave it some air and covered it again.

here is what my compost is.

all of it is shredded up or small pieces.

1. dirt/soil
2. leaves dried up
3. some wood chips
4. paper no ink of course
5. orange peels
6. tea and coffee grounds
7. started adding some bird seeds used bird seeds of course that were eaten by my birds.

PS- if bad how do i stop it from molding up? i cannot keep it uncovered as it dries out way to fast.
kendell21

Postby sotirios » October 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm

im composting in a 5gallon bucket and the weather is all bipolar some days it's raining some it's hot as hell. anyways yesterday i covered my compost and today i opened it up to air it out and turn it it was hot but their were white fuzzy mold growing at the top. im wondering why this is happening and is it okay?

their are no bugs in it and the compost was hot and still moist. i turned it and gave it some air and covered it again.

here is what my compost is.

all of it is shredded up or small pieces.

1. dirt/soil
2. leaves dried up
3. some wood chips
4. paper no ink of course
5. orange peels
6. tea and coffee grounds
7. started adding some bird seeds used bird seeds of course that were eaten by my birds.

PS- if bad how do i stop it from molding up? i cannot keep it uncovered as it dries out way to fast.
Mold anf fungus is part of the decomposition process. Your bucket should have good drainage, and hole on the sides for air circulation.
sotirios

Postby stacy53 » October 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm

You need to have holes to circulate air. Add some greens from your kitchen, egg shells that have been microwaved and crushed, plus aged horse manure to help cook it and add nitrogen. I have a plastic garbage can on my deck with holes in the top and sides, and I turn it once a week to aerate it and if I need moisture, I add some water. I also have some worms in it.
stacy53

Postby ham4 » October 5th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Coffee grounds will mold quickly in dark damp conditions. Just make sure they are covered with some soil. Or, dry them out before you add them to your bucket.

Drill some holes in the sides so some air can circulate.
ham4

Return to Composting