Linux mate 1.4 in ubuntu 12.04 desktop effects?

Postby seaghda » November 17th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Unity was sucking resources like nothing esle and running like windows 95 so I installed mate 1.4 and it is sooooo fast now.

But I do not have any desktop effects via composting for things like docky, and it would be nice if I could get these.

Does anyone know how to enable these on mate 1.4 in ubuntu 12.04 and why they seem to have been disabled in mate? When I logout and login to the other desktops they are there and functioning...

Thanks
seaghda

Postby murphy90 » November 17th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Now you need to install Compiz (for the effects) and Cairo Dock, Docky, Xdock, AWN (Avant Windows Navigator), &c., for the dock.

If they are not in the main repositories, you will need to add them, via Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

I recommend that you give Bodhi Linux http://bodhilinux.com/ a try. They use the Enlightenment window manager (e17) which is very light on system resources similar to that of LXDE. It is a derivative of Ubuntu, in fact you could look at it like you would Kubuntu, Xubuntu, &c., as the first letter represents the Desktop Environment being used, however the Bodhi team is completely separate from the Ubuntu communities. That being said, it is completely compatible with Ubuntu and is moving towards becoming a rolling release.

Just give it a test run via LiveCD or LiveUSB.

~~~~~
Also, when installing Linux, it is always best to manually set up the Partition. This way, if you ever want to upgrade or move to a different distro, you will be able to keep all of your data from your /home folder. It is best to set it up as such:

/
SWAP
/tmp
/home

/ (give a good amount of memory, 80+ GB as this is where all installed apps are held)

SWAP (Rule of thumb, give swap twice of RAM, however if you have like 6+ GB RAM 2-4GB of SWAP will suffice)

/tmp (If you back up Blu-Rays, give a good 30+ GB, if just DVDs 15 GB such do. This also depends on if you do a lot of editing of Audios and Videos)

/home (This is where your main data is held, give good amount. You may also give around 100 GB and then if you have available free space, set up a different partition used for backup (Basically, you could move all of the data off your Home folder to this backup or what ever)).

Just some recommendations from personal experience.

Also, if you are not using Windows at all, I recommend that you consider formating the drive as a GUID Partition Layout as this will allow way more than just four primary partitions. This is also to use Drives larger than 2GB.
murphy90

Postby meinke » November 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Now you need to install Compiz (for the effects) and Cairo Dock, Docky, Xdock, AWN (Avant Windows Navigator), &c., for the dock.

If they are not in the main repositories, you will need to add them, via Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas

I recommend that you give Bodhi Linux http://bodhilinux.com/ a try. They use the Enlightenment window manager (e17) which is very light on system resources similar to that of LXDE. It is a derivative of Ubuntu, in fact you could look at it like you would Kubuntu, Xubuntu, &c., as the first letter represents the Desktop Environment being used, however the Bodhi team is completely separate from the Ubuntu communities. That being said, it is completely compatible with Ubuntu and is moving towards becoming a rolling release.

Just give it a test run via LiveCD or LiveUSB.

~~~~~
Also, when installing Linux, it is always best to manually set up the Partition. This way, if you ever want to upgrade or move to a different distro, you will be able to keep all of your data from your /home folder. It is best to set it up as such:

/
SWAP
/tmp
/home

/ (give a good amount of memory, 80+ GB as this is where all installed apps are held)

SWAP (Rule of thumb, give swap twice of RAM, however if you have like 6+ GB RAM 2-4GB of SWAP will suffice)

/tmp (If you back up Blu-Rays, give a good 30+ GB, if just DVDs 15 GB such do. This also depends on if you do a lot of editing of Audios and Videos)

/home (This is where your main data is held, give good amount. You may also give around 100 GB and then if you have available free space, set up a different partition used for backup (Basically, you could move all of the data off your Home folder to this backup or what ever)).

Just some recommendations from personal experience.

Also, if you are not using Windows at all, I recommend that you consider formating the drive as a GUID Partition Layout as this will allow way more than just four primary partitions. This is also to use Drives larger than 2GB.
don't know I'm afraid but I suggest asking at the ubuntu forums, they should be able to give you specific help

http://ubuntuforums.org/
meinke

Postby galchobhar14 » November 17th, 2012, 9:40 pm

They were disabled precisely because MATE is intended to be super fast; one of the largest resource draws with Unity is it's Compiz window manager.
galchobhar14

Return to Composting