What to do when trying to get a tax id number for my small buisness?

Postby abejide » February 3rd, 2015, 10:49 am

I am starting a small business ( landscaping / lawn care) I don't really understand were to go from here on how or what i need to do to get a tax id. first do i need a tax id number for state and federal? second do i need to apply for a EIN as well as a TIN? Third were do i go to do these things?
abejide

Postby ase » February 3rd, 2015, 10:50 am

You want an EIN number. You go online to http://irs.gov Fill out the form and the EIN is issued immedately that is the Number you use for opening bank accounts and filing federal and state tax returns State Sales Tax permit you apply for on your State Taxing Authority Website. In NY your personal SS or the Federal EIN number can be used when applying Neither filing requires a payment.
ase

Postby chumo » February 3rd, 2015, 10:56 am

The EIN is the tax id. However, you do not need one if you are not incorporated. You could just use your social security number. Of course, it's good to have a EIN because you can then open a business bank account using it (and a business license is usually required by banks), and keep your business and personal accounts separate.
chumo

Return to Lawns and Turf