What does the Anti-backfire solenoid on a Briggs and stratton do? and what does it plug into?

What does the Anti-backfire solenoid on a Briggs and stratton do? and what does it plug into?

Postby leonard77 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:18 pm

I'm building a racing mower, and I pulled a V-twin off a retired broken lawn mower and put it on a MUCH smaller frame designed for a single cylinder 11HP, So the wiring loom is... Different ,and I'm kind of trying to custom wire this thing to elimate as much as I can WHILE keeping the "Alternator" and such working. and the problem I think I'm running into is I don't know how or what the Anti Backfire solenoid on the bowl does, or what it plugs into to make it work. does it need a pulse? or just a hot wire? or what.

I'm 15, and I'm trying to learn, So I'd prefer to do this myself.

and a 2nd question I can ask, Is how and what can I do to get the "Alternator" working properly? Or find the wires that come from the Engine that recharges the battery? But only answer this if you know and feel like answering it
leonard77

Postby alister » July 23rd, 2012, 10:27 pm

The antibackfire solenoid shuts off the main fuel jet in the carb when the key is switched to the off position. Thus preventing a backfire after the key has been switched off. So make sure you have it wired in properly or it will prevent fuel from flowing through the jet of your carb. You can sometime see or hear the solenoid moving when the key is switched on and off.

Good luck with your racing mower.
alister

Postby bernardino34 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Anti- backfire solenoid is what it's name apply. It senses a backfire and stop the engine by cutting the spark to the plug. It saves the motor. It is a low voltage, not battery voltage. It goes back to the controler black box. That is a mimi computer. Hope this help you.
bernardino34

Postby leith » July 23rd, 2012, 10:41 pm

Amazing project you got there sonny, good luck with that current set-up.
leith

Re: What does the Anti-backfire solenoid on a Briggs and str

Postby PARyachts » November 17th, 2015, 9:09 am

Just to clarify, the anti backfire solenoid, does not stop the spark. The typical setup is simply an electromagnet that operates a plunger. When the ignition is turned on the plunger is pulled down by the solenoid, permitting fuel to enter the main jet orifice, at the bottom of the bowel. When the ignition is turned off, the valve deactivates and the spring inside the solenoid pushes the plunger up, blocking fuel from entering the jet.

These solenoids fair regularly or act up intermittently and they're not cheap. The work around on it, is to cut off the plunger, so it can't stop fuel flow to the jet orifice and use another method to stop the fuel supply, such as a hand operated valve. You just have to remember to close the valve when getting ready to shut down the engine. The reason you want to close the fuel delivery is, back fires will eventually make a mess of a number of other parts, if permitted to continue.

Last bumped by Anonymous on November 17th, 2015, 9:09 am.
PARyachts

Return to Lawns and Turf