How to fix my dying lawn?

Postby rameez37 » April 3rd, 2012, 7:33 pm

I moved into a new build last june and the builders had laid the lawn we watered everyday, but it died around the edges so plan was to do flower be border, but now winter is gone there are completely bald patches of just mud and dry brown patches everywhere we have tired loads of things from local garden shop but nothing has worked on these patches. When we moved in we noticed around the edges where the grass didnt bed in underneath was bits of what looked like builders rubble!! Im torn as to whether to fork the whole thing and reseed or just dig up the entire garden which would require a skip and ALOT of top soil before reseeding. Any ideas people???
Thanks
rameez37

Postby emory49 » April 3rd, 2012, 7:49 pm

We had exactly the same thing and when we started digging there was builders rubble and even remains of a large bonfire with copper wires, old cans and all sorts of junk. No decent grass if any is going to grow on this. If you fork (if you can) and reseed you will be wasting your time as it will eventually die again.

It is quicker in the long run, to dig the whole lot out, replace with top soil and then reseed or turf. You will then get a decent lawn which you will be happy with as well as beautiful flowers in the borders - cos they aren't going to grow either without decent soil.
emory49

Postby fonsie » April 3rd, 2012, 7:57 pm

Dig it over then lay turf, you maybe right on the builders rubble we had the same thing a few years ago and no matter what we did it was no good so in the end we dug it all up and had to get rid of the rubble, then we had it turfed okay after that, good luck and enjoy your garden.
fonsie

Postby gwilym » April 3rd, 2012, 8:05 pm

If the builders simply turfed over rubble then you will have no choice but to dig down and replace it with soil. However you do not need to necessarily go out and buy expensive topsoil. Keep an eye on the local information boards, free ads, shop window ads etc and you find that there are quite a few adverts giving away top soil to anyone who can collect it. that way you can replace the lawned area bit by bit and simply get rid of the rubble at your local tip. Grass has started growing again so reseeding should be done in the next few weeks any done before now may not have germinated. You don't say how big the lawn is but once you have removed the largest pieces of rubble you only really need a covering of topsoil about 4 inches deep you don't really need to go for high quality topsoil either .As long as you don't require a show lawn with stripes etc go for a general purpose seed that is drought resistant and seed it in stages . A lawn surviving is down to preparation and if general builders waste was left under your lawn it may have been contaminated with decorating waste, oil etc which killed the grass in patches .I would dig these areas out deeper to remove any possible contaminants. The dead patches could also have been caused by cats or even foxes urinating on the grass this can be avoided by either scaring them away or providing soft borders they can dig easily .
gwilym

Postby santos26 » April 3rd, 2012, 8:08 pm

Sorry, it needs to come up. Whatever is under there needs to come out, please let's hope it is solid and not oil as Tex above mentioned. Then it needs to be dug well to get the air back into the soil.....they probably parked all sorts of heavy machines over the soil.

Don't know your soils there as to if you need to add amendments......good chance peat moss and a starter type fertilizer to up the phosphorus level. Maybe you have actual top soil there for sale.....one here. Here it is sand and dried manure. Then go ahead an resod or seed. A good lawn comes from good soil underneath......something you didn't have.

Kinda makes you wonder about the quality of the house if they didn't bother to pick up trash.
santos26

Postby cullent » April 3rd, 2012, 8:17 pm

Even if you constantly take care of your lawn, you can not escape from several problems that can affect the proper development and health of your turf. For you to enjoy your lawn, you need to take care of these lawn problems. Here are some of the most common lawn problems that you might encounter and their solutions.

Grasses and weeds can cause a lot of trouble for your lawn.

Crabgrass is a fast growing weed and thrives well in lawns that are mowed too low. To fix this, you need to mow high and fertilize it with corn gluten meal in early spring.

Dandelions on the other hand have long thick taproots that grow back easily and you have to kill the plant before its flowers mature to keep it from spreading its seeds. Although you can kill it with herbicides, these can be harmful to humans so it is better to just uproot it using a specialized fork like tool.

Fungus and moss can also cause lawn problems for you. These are usually caused by too much moisture, improper mowing and fertilizing at the wrong time of year. The best thing that you can do with this problem is to fertilize your lawn at the right time and prune trees and shrubs to discourage their growth.

The small beetle larvae called grubs can cause sections of your lawn to die. You can apply herbicides mixed with water to the soil a couple of days before replanting to fix this problem.

Another animal that can cause harm to your turf is the mole. They tunnel near the surface of the soil leaving a zigzagging trail of raised soil. The only effective way to deal with this problem is to trap them or hire a wildlife control professional to handle the problem.

Still another common lawn problem that you might encounter is dog urine on your yard which can kill grass. You can tell that a dog has urinated on the grass when brown spots appear among the green grass.

Although you can use a motion activated water sprinkler to discourage dogs from going in your lawn, it can be activated by any person who might happen to step on your grass. The least that you can do here is to wait for the grass to grow back or replant the brown spot.
cullent

Return to Lawns and Turf