Grass clippings as strawberry mulch?

Postby makolm » February 5th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I just mowed my lawn, and I applied a layer of fresh grass clippings on top of my strawberry patch. I brushed the clippings off of the strawberry plants. Will this be beneficial or harmful to my berries? I did this in an attempt to keep weeds down and provide some nutrition for the plants. Don't worry about chemicals, both the clippings ans berries were organic.
makolm

Postby berk45 » February 5th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Hi Matthew I use grass clipping and/or straw around most of my plants. The only problem with fresh grass clippings is they will generate internal heat (as does a compost pile) if they are applied too deep. This may actually burn your plant and kill it. Grass clippings also compact very tightly and can impede water absorption around your plants so be careful about that. They also stink to high heaven if you get them a little too thick, they become rancid and slimy. The best way to use grass clippings is to spread them out for a week or two and let them dry some, then you can put them around your plants with no problem. I hope this helps Johnny
berk45

Postby malone39 » February 5th, 2015, 3:16 pm

I agree with Johnny, they make good mulch, but they need to be dry. Drying time varies with climate, I can dry ours in an hour if spread out on the driveway first. Otherwise, apply in thin layers. Don't use clipping if you've applied weed killer as this may transfer to the plants and fruit.
malone39

Return to Lawns and Turf