I'm currently scheduled to move to Oak lawn Illinois. Basically Chicago.?

Postby sprowle » February 2nd, 2015, 3:22 am

I'm supposed to move there in a month and I'm trying to do research on how it is over there. Can anyone tell me what the lifestyle is usually like over there. I am currently living in Southern California right now.
sprowle

Postby elisheba » February 2nd, 2015, 3:24 am

I'm from Evergreen which is right next to Oak Lawn. I also lived in San Diego for 4yrs. You will be 10 miles SW of the loop. It is a family area build 1950's thru the 80's It has a big pocket of Muslims, and they bus blacks into one of the 2 public HS's. (If you live in that part, you will need to use private schools) A lot of Greeks also live in Oak Lawn. They tend to stick together, but keep their property well kept. You will want to be at the NE end of the town. The SW end is kind of poor. I think it is nice. You are right outside the city limits, and have a large area of Irish right there. Cop/firemen in Chicago have to live in the City, so these area's are all white/Irish. You can hop on the Metra train in Oak Lawn, and be down town in 40 minutes. It is a working class union town, but because of the train it has a lot of young business people that commute. Lots of good food! People in CA don't have a clue what a pizza is. You have a good variety of shopping, bars, etc. 95th street is the main strip of OL, and the town to the west, Chicago ridge, has a large mall. The entire SS of Chicago (including the burbs like OL) are very clickish, and may come off as racist compare to what you are used to. These burbs are full of whites that left the city for a reason, and they want to keep the area clean. In CA. I came off as a guy you might see on TV with the accent, etc. This is common here. Even friend want to know a persons last name so they can figure them out. Example: My son starts dating a girl. I say what is she? He says "I don't know, but she is part Irish" I say what is her last name? Polaski, Oh she's a Polock, at least she is Catholic. This will seem odd to you. 1/2 my friends are Polish or Mexican, and we are all like this over here. My best buddy is a Mexican, and his wife is Irish....He likes telling me, "I like F-ing you Irish". These are in good humor to us, but may come off wrong to you at first. DON'T do CA things like drive a rice burner, complain about smoke, be a vegan, invite blacks over to your house, put gel in your hair (if male), call pop (coke/pepsi) soda, etc. you will have trouble with your neighbors. I hope this was helpful.
elisheba

Postby deveon » February 2nd, 2015, 3:27 am

Oak Lawn is a mid South suburb. It is considered a solid blue collar suburb. Down to earth people, neighborhood bars, lots of traffic, middle of the road for Chicagoland.
deveon

Return to Lawns and Turf