Is my Juniper Bonsai Tree Dead?

Postby kermode » October 29th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I have a Juniper Bonsai tree that is about 3-5 year old. I left for 12 days and when I came back it was still green but, not as green as it used to be. Only a few of the leaves were brown and dead. I have been watering it since July 11th. I have been watering it regularly and it seems to be a little greener or maybe I'm imagining it's greener because I don't want it to be dead:(. It was strange there were a few new leaves are sprouting. The leaves are "crispy" and easily come off if I pinch or pull on them. So... I would say it was dead but, there is that new growth so now I am unsure. Can anyone help?
kermode

Postby huxford » October 29th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Crispy, yellow, and falling leaves indicates that tree is dead but it might not always be the case. It could be indication of neglect too. You can try something else to be sure whether your tree is living or dead. Try scratching the trunk at the very bottom and see if it is green. If green you are okay. If white then it is dead. I have not heard anyone reviving a dead juniper but you could try the water submerging tip. Good luck.
huxford

Postby humberto » October 29th, 2012, 2:52 pm

If there is new growth it is alive. Emerging it it in water and letting it stay till the bubbles stop coming up will help it. Then let it drain. Junipers are outside bonsai. They do not live long inside.
humberto

Postby carmichael » October 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm

yes is dead buy another one
carmichael

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki