Nitrates in aquarium?

Nitrates in aquarium?

Postby tudor85 » November 3rd, 2013, 3:31 pm

The nitrates in my freshwater aquarium are too high. my well water is around 80 ppm even with my reverse osmosis system. I have plants in there but i still cant get them down. What should i do
tudor85

Nitrates in aquarium?

Postby mona6 » November 3rd, 2013, 3:32 pm

Best advice I have is to bring your water in from elsewhere, for the fish and yourself.
mona6

Nitrates in aquarium?

Postby watts39 » November 3rd, 2013, 3:39 pm

Be sure you are doing regular maintenance on your RO filter. The pads need replaced regularly for it to function properly.

Also, you likely are in an area with high irrigation or cattle/livestock. Refurbishing the well is a good idea, but of course not cheap. Ideally you would drill deeper and have a deeper concrete seal to avoid the groundwater closer to the surface and nitrate source. As the water gets deeper the nitrates are usually less. Also try to keep gardens, crops, etc, anything with fertilizer well away from the well and fence to keep livestock a safe distance.

As another person pointed out, that high of nitrate is not good for you either. It is especially dangerous to infants and pregnant women (at more than 10ppm). You do not have safe drinking water at 80ppm nitrate!
watts39

Nitrates in aquarium?

Postby kriss14 » November 3rd, 2013, 3:50 pm

like @tabitha says, that's a high nitrate level, especially after the RO filter. Are you sure you have RO and not just a common water filter??? I'm betting you have been told it's an RO and it's not.

you can buy some distilled water and use it for half of your water change water, or collect rainwater or store and filter your water more before use (Perhaps use a nitrate removing filter material) . I'm not sure what else would be effective.
kriss14

Nitrates in aquarium?

Postby eda70 » November 3rd, 2013, 3:54 pm

get niteout from a local petstire and give 5ml per gallond everyday untilk its down

ifishcare.weebly.com
eda70

Return to Irrigation