Low Water Pressure/Landlord not helping?

Low Water Pressure/Landlord not helping?

Postby bertolde » January 20th, 2014, 1:49 am

If the squeaky wheel gets the grease then you just need to keep bothering him until the situation is resolved. Unfortunately there is nothing legal you can do because there are no codes that state you must have so much water pressure and so much flow.

But people get this mixed up all the time; they call it "Low Water Pressure" when it is in fact, low water FLOW. My neighbor has the same water pressure I have. However, he has smaller pipes and some of them are corroded. I can use a single sprinkler to water my entire lawn while he has to move his around. He complains that I have it easy. Well, I redid all the plumbing in my house, upgraded from half inch to three quarter inch. From a main line running the length of the house I split off with half inch for sinks tubs and toilets. If someone flushes a toilet while someone else is showering there is almost no noticeable affect on water flow or on temperature.

This could be a case where your water valve may not be functioning properly, or a valve before the tub is not fully open. Some shower/tub valves have screw valves on either side at their inlet to limit the flow. One or more of them may be partially closed - but I can't see what is the situation with your plumbing.

Another reason why I redid my entire house is because someone before me used over 100 copper elbows. Elbows tend to reduce the flow. It could be that someone not knowing what they were doing may have attempted to do the plumbing in your residence. Since you said he sent his son - I have to guess this is a guy who knows a little about plumbing. VERY little. Just enough to get water there. But to do it right - you have to know more than just a little. My neighbor knows VERY little about plumbing. But that doesn't stop him from making a bad situation worse.

Keep bugging the landlord. If the situation becomes intolerable ask him to let you out of the lease. If he refuses then MAYBE you can call a professional. Whatever he charges you - you can deduct from the rent. Just be sure to have your receipt. Also keep a copy of any diagnostic reports that show what the problem is. If you get taken to court you can show the judge that you had low flow and you requested on numerous occasions to have it fixed. After three months of not being satisfied you called a professional LICENSED plumber who FIXED the problem. The judge should side with you. Just be sure to document EVERY time you speak to the landlord about the problem AND what the landlord did/did-not do about fixing it. That way you can speak to the judge with confidence. It also shows that you were attempting to resolve the problem but the landlord wasn't.

Hope this helps.

'av'a g'day mate.

User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: June 22nd, 2012, 10:07 pm

Return to Irrigation


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests