How do I start my landscaping project when old landscaping materials already laying around and mixed in?

How do I start my landscaping project when old landscaping materials already laying around and mixed in?

Postby luigi32 » February 11th, 2014, 6:05 pm

We went to a nursery and figured out our design. Our yard is sand and weeds with deteriorated beds of old landscaping rock and mulch. I want to prep the yard and install hardy plants and a small patch of sod, but there are bits of pine needles, landscaping pebbles, and old mulch around. Don't want to totally amend the soil. Have old sprinkler heads, most work and will be some turned into drip lines eventually. Not sure how to start except by filling up buckets of rocks, etc., with bare hands.
luigi32

Postby anluan » February 11th, 2014, 6:06 pm

If you have underground lines, there is no major way to do it. Whittle away at it, or buy a bunch of pizza nd beer and invite friends over to help. The pine needles and mulch aren't really a problem, but if you had help pulling out the pebbles, it would go faster.

A wide-meshed sieve will make faster work of it, as long as the soil isn't too wet. Shovel out the dirt onto the sieve over a wheelbarrow, sift most of the larger pebbles out (and save for another use), and return the soil to the bed.
anluan

Postby yoman » February 11th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Bare hands works
yoman

Return to Irrigation