Do I have a Naegleria infection?

Postby hunfried » October 1st, 2013, 9:33 pm

Before answering please read what the infection is and tell me what you think - it is called Naegleria Floweri/ Brain eating amoeba.

Yesterday I was swimming in a quite stagnant river/pond body of water. Rarely you would come across some algae but not near where we swam. But my friend and I were jumping in and getting water up our noises quite a bit. The water was also so deep we could not see the bottom. What are the chances of us getting this infection and should I worry?
hunfried

Postby coilleach64 » October 1st, 2013, 9:36 pm

"Naegleria fowleri infections are rare *. In the 10 years from 2003 to 2012, 31 infections were reported in the U.S. Of those cases, 28 people were infected by contaminated recreational water, and 3 people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water."

Also

"Naegleria fowleri is a heat-loving (thermophilic) microbe. It grows best at higher temperatures up to 115°F (46°C) and can survive for short periods at higher temperatures. It is less likely to be found in the water as temperatures decline. The ameba can be found in lake or river sediment at temperatures well below where one would find the ameba in the water."

You probably don't have it, if you start to notice the symptoms though, go to the doctor right away, but don't stress out, you most likely don't have it.
coilleach64

Return to Irrigation