How to prevent Root Rot In Aeroponics/hydroponics.?

Postby farewell51 » October 26th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Recently in my aeroponic clone machine I caught root rot in my system and LOST ALL OF MY PLANTS considering this is my first attempt!!!!!!!!!! A few hours ago i sterilized everything in BLEACH. Now that I have the bacteria infection gone my main concert now is how to prevent root rot in system. Hydro stores tell me to get sm 90 but that **** is EXPENSIVE!! Is their some other alternative i can use like hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore 3% or bleach?
farewell51

Postby macclennan » October 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Root rot is usually the first pest to infest a hydroponic garden. It is a fungus belonging to the Pythium family. Follow the simple steps to prevent Root Rot in Hydroponics:

1) Clean and then clean again. Use a mild bleach-water mix, 2 oz. of bleach to 5 gallons of water on all surfaces when cleaning in and around your hydroponic set-up.
2) Heat water to 100 degrees to kill fungus spores. Let it cool to room temperature before adding it to your hydroponic system.
3) Keep all pets out of your hydroponic room. They will pick up fungus spores when they go outside and then spread them to your hydroponic system.
4) Wash your hands before working in your hydroponic garden to remove any fungus spores you may have picked up. Do not wear shoes in your hydroponic area that you have worn in your soil garden.
5) Do not move plants from your soil garden to your hydroponic garden. Outdoor plants could have Pythium spores on them that cause them no problems, but would kill off an entire hydroponic garden.
macclennan

Postby paris28 » October 27th, 2011, 12:19 am

First, make sure that there is no bleach residue in the container. If you think you've rinsed it out enough, do it one more time. If you have neoprene collars make sure you either replace them or clean them very very well. There could be a few reasons why you are getting root rot.

First, make sure your water temperature isn't too high. With summer time the water temps can get pretty high. Keep it around 70-75 and you should be good. Bacteria growth take off in high temps.

Second, your pH level needs to be between 5.5-5.8 for aeroponics. This isn't soil or hydro a pH of 6 is getting too high. If you don't have a digital pH meter you might want to get one. We have a Hannah digital waterproof combo meter for about $150. Believe me, it's waterproof! It also has a temperature reading.

Third, you don't need sm 90 or anything like that. Some people do use some clone solution in their water but you don't necessarily have to. You can add 3% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2 to your water to help prevent nastiness. Add about 1 tablespoon (the measuring kind, not the one you eat with) of H2O2 per gallon of water.

Make sure you pH test after adding anything into the water.
paris28

Return to Hydroponics / Aeroponics