How much money do you think a 20+ acres Fruit/ vegetables Orchard can make?

Postby prior » February 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm

I have a friend that is going to rent me his land he has 40 acres,so i can grow vegetables and some fruit for an example I would be growing tomatoes,watermelon,corn,garlic etc. I just want to know if there would be a good profit in this. I have two fruit stands and we live in the state of Washington. Both fruit stands are doing well I just want to make more maybe start a chain of fruit stands or sell my produce to warehouses or stores.I guess what i am trying to say is? is there a good profit if i do this can i make a good amount of money?? And if there is any more ideas i am missing out to help me build in expanding i am open to all suggestions thank you friends!
prior

Postby giancarlo12 » February 20th, 2013, 11:43 pm

You can check with the county extension agent for average income figures per acre, per hour, per crop, and so forth. But if you are already running a fruit stand you should already know that stuff by your own experience.
giancarlo12

Postby shimshon29 » February 20th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Well, you already have the means of selling your product, so now you need to know if growing it yourself is more lucrative than buying it. I would think that growing a single crop would require less investment than growing a variety. Corn, for instance can be planted and harvested mechanically,with a minimum labor cost. These machines (a sizable investment) could not be used for planting/harvesting garlic. Also consider fertilizer. Corn needs a high Nitrogen fertilizer,whereas tomatoes will not produce fruit if given a high Nitrogen fertilizer. A similar situation exists for pesticides, which are formulated for specific crops. So cultivating a single crop will keep your cost down.
Now, if the land is fertile and the weather is cooperative, labor will likely be your biggest headache (perhaps your worst nightmare). This is where the profit or loss will occur. A plantation of several acres is just too big to work by yourself. You can't rely on your friends pitching in to help you, because they will be "busy" on planting day. So you'll need to hire part-time workers, usually at planting time, most definitely at harvest time. So you'll have to research the Labor Laws see what is required of an employer engaged in this kind of work. There are bound to be some insurance and tax issues to be dealt with. OK, I'll admit that I didn't answer your question, but perhaps this offers some things you haven't thought of. Good Luck with your venture!
shimshon29

Return to Tomatoes