How many petals in a rose flower?

Postby vsndyke » May 3rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

Well, in a wild rose as well as with most flowers that are in the rose family, there are five petals, five sepals, numerous stamen and 1-5 pistls. Most of your 'tame' or hybrid roses like the ones most often seen in flower shops, have been bred over hundreds of years to have more than five petals. However, if you pick a rose blossom apart, you'll see that the other flower parts are still almost always in groups of five. It's a pretty sure fire way to tell if a flower is in the rose family.
vsndyke

Postby ceileachan » May 3rd, 2012, 1:50 pm

All roses were originally singles, composed of five petals, with the exception of one four-petaled specie. Single rose are defined by the American Rose Society to have between four and eight petals, while roses categorized as semi-double have nine to sixteen petals, double blooms have 17 – 25 petals, full blossoms are 26 – 40 and very full are 41 or more. Rosa centifolia (Cabbage Rose) are hundred petaled roses.
ceileachan

Postby calbhach82 » May 3rd, 2012, 1:52 pm

All roses were originally singles, composed of five petals, with the exception of one four-petaled specie. Single rose are defined by the American Rose Society to have between four and eight petals, while roses categorized as semi-double have nine to sixteen petals, double blooms have 17 – 25 petals, full blossoms are 26 – 40 and very full are 41 or more. Rosa centifolia (Cabbage Rose) are hundred petaled roses.
'' he loves me - he loves me not '' Even or odd ? I guess it depends on the mood im in. lol
calbhach82

Postby rickie » May 3rd, 2012, 1:53 pm

i think 50
rickie

Postby aylward48 » May 3rd, 2012, 1:58 pm

i think its 40 to 50.
aylward48

Return to Roses