How long does it take to grow an apple bonsai tree?

Postby machk » October 9th, 2012, 7:22 am

~Any bonsai tree takes years to perfect.
~The best way to shorten the time is, growing an apple tree on bare ground (this is where the plants grow fastest, not in pots and definitely not in tiny bonsai trays..) and then when the trunk has reached a desirable thickness, you can remove the tree from the ground and plant it in a bonsai training pot (or a normal large pot, unlike a tiny bonsai tray..)
~Then you can start basic styling of the tree.
~Let it grow and be shaped as years pass.
~Finally when it has reached or almost reached your expected shape, plant it in its bonsai tray.

The whole thing will take about 10-20 years i guess..
I dunno that depends on how fast your original apple tree grows. I have grown an apple tree from a seedling in my garden and it's been like an year. But it is still a tall but hideously thin thing that is totally not ready for bonsai training..
machk

Postby hubbard » October 9th, 2012, 7:26 am

It will take years before anything resembling bonsai can be achieved. The Apple is one of the most common used for Growing as a Miniature Fruit Tree. When you decide to grow your tree you will need to choose the species carefully and do some research on which one will grow best it your climate. There are types of Apple trees that do not grow the fruit very well in some areas with mild winters because they actually do require long periods of cold temperature. It is best I feel to talk to a nurseryman or the internet for some knowledge regarding the Apple Bonsai Tree to gather as much information as possible.
hubbard

Postby ede » October 9th, 2012, 7:36 am

Years probably many years. Bonsai is not something done quickly. Sure you see junipers pruned into a pseudo bonsai form, but to do a hardwood like an apple.....that would be difficult. Not a first timers plant, for sure.

Taking a genetic dwarf, planting into a larger than average tub.......not a bonsai pot, you could form the branches into something exotic over 5-10 years. But it wouldn't be a bonsai.....more like a topiary in a bonsai form.

True bonsai is in the smaller container in specific forms.
ede

Postby deutsch » October 9th, 2012, 7:43 am

Bonsai trees grow an apple?
deutsch

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki