Is my milk supply dropping already?

Postby farand » February 3rd, 2015, 5:40 pm

My 9 month old has ear infections and hasn't been nursing much at all the past 4 or 5 days. She didn't nurse all night last night and usually when that happens i wake up feeling full. I didn't feel full at all. It takes longer to get a let down etc and on top of that I'm coming down with a cold. How do i increase supply without herbs or pumping while she isn't nursing much?
farand

Postby porfiro87 » February 3rd, 2015, 5:46 pm

Your body is responding to the reduction in demand. Your breasts will respond again when she's back on form. You won't dry out from a few days not feeding. It would have to be about a month of not feeding to stop. Also as she's bigger, eatting proper food and not growing at such a rate. She'll be having less milk anyway so your boobs won't get so sore and full from missed feeds like when she was littler. Keep offering her milk as often as you can to keep her hydrated. She'll be well again in no time and your milk will follow her lead.
porfiro87

Postby banain » February 3rd, 2015, 5:51 pm

Aside from trying to breastfeed more or pumping, my wife swears by oatmeal. I'm not even joking. With our first child, my wife couldn't produce enough. She ran dry pretty quickly and we had to supplement with formula. With our second child someone had told her about oatmeal. She tried it and we ended up with a small deep freeze full of milk. So sad we had to throw it all out because of his food allergies but there was enough there to last our little boy half a year if we could have used it.
banain

Postby garin » February 3rd, 2015, 5:58 pm

Really the only way to increase your supply would be to breastfeed more or pump. Herbs have helped me a lot.
garin

Postby arden » February 3rd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Just be sure to eat lots of calories and drink lots of fluid
arden

Return to Herbs