How can I quit my job on a good note?

Postby halden26 » February 3rd, 2015, 10:40 pm

This question is a bit complicated, but I'm stuck in a very bad situation so hopefully someone can give me an advice or an opinion. I applied for a student summer job lasting 8 weeks for a birth to 6 years old children education program with an agency. 5 other people applied for the same position, and the same day of my interview I received a call from the agency informing that they were very impressed by my interview and they would love to offer me the position. I started working last week, and it happened to be that my sister is a board member at this agency which which we realized after the board member meeting took place when the manager discussed hiring a new student and said my name. My sister said she spoke very highly of me and stated that she loves having me as a part of the team several times during the meeting. The issue is that the position I applied for is a gardening position, and to my understanding at first was that I would deal with children planting seeds in a vase and teach them how to care for the plants as well as healthy eating habits. Turns out that on top of this, there's quite a big garden that I have to dig, plant vegetables and herbs in it, water them, trim them and all the necessary care for the next 7 weeks. Unfortunately I had a car accident 5 years ago and I have severe back and shoulder pain even when I lay in bed, so there's no way I can take on this position. I want to quit, but I feel very bad about it, especially since they are very dependent on me to get everything started. So if I were to quit, but offer them as much volunteer services as needed until the new staff becomes familiar with their job and help the new staff to the best of my abilities, am I going to disappoint them or is this a jackass move on my part?
halden26

Postby kaylan » February 3rd, 2015, 10:40 pm

This question is a bit complicated, but I'm stuck in a very bad situation so hopefully someone can give me an advice or an opinion. I applied for a student summer job lasting 8 weeks for a birth to 6 years old children education program with an agency. 5 other people applied for the same position, and the same day of my interview I received a call from the agency informing that they were very impressed by my interview and they would love to offer me the position. I started working last week, and it happened to be that my sister is a board member at this agency which which we realized after the board member meeting took place when the manager discussed hiring a new student and said my name. My sister said she spoke very highly of me and stated that she loves having me as a part of the team several times during the meeting. The issue is that the position I applied for is a gardening position, and to my understanding at first was that I would deal with children planting seeds in a vase and teach them how to care for the plants as well as healthy eating habits. Turns out that on top of this, there's quite a big garden that I have to dig, plant vegetables and herbs in it, water them, trim them and all the necessary care for the next 7 weeks. Unfortunately I had a car accident 5 years ago and I have severe back and shoulder pain even when I lay in bed, so there's no way I can take on this position. I want to quit, but I feel very bad about it, especially since they are very dependent on me to get everything started. So if I were to quit, but offer them as much volunteer services as needed until the new staff becomes familiar with their job and help the new staff to the best of my abilities, am I going to disappoint them or is this a jackass move on my part?
kaylan

Postby ulfger » February 3rd, 2015, 10:43 pm

Just be honest with them and tell the truth. If you were not given the full job description at interview then that's not your fault. I wouldn't feel guilty about that. Gardening is a physically demanding job (I know, as a gardener) and if you're not physically capable of doing it then you're not going to help anyone including yourself. However, I'm surprised your sister didn't say something to you given her position. There is a whiff of nepotism here. Perhaps it puts your sister in a more awkward position?
ulfger

Postby domenico » February 3rd, 2015, 10:48 pm

"So if I were to quit, but offer them as much volunteer services as needed until the new staff becomes familiar with their job and help the new staff to the best of my abilities, am I going to disappoint them or is this a jackass move on my part? Not a jackass move at all. See if you can line up your replacement. Give them plenty of notice. Tell them you didn't realise the physical nature of the job and that it is beyond your capabilities due to your injuries. They'll understand.
domenico

Postby chuck59 » February 3rd, 2015, 10:50 pm

don't do any volunteer work for this place. sounds like the employer bears some responsibility for not telling you what the job was about. if 5 other ppl applied, don't feel bad about quitting, they will find someone else to do it.
chuck59

Postby thorndike » February 3rd, 2015, 10:51 pm

No, explain to them in writing your situation and offer to train or help in finding a replacement. Don't forget to thank them for the opportunity either. Unfortionatly these things happen in the business world. It would also help to call and tell your sister first so she doesn't find out last minute. Good luck.
thorndike

Return to Herbs