Fuzzy white bugs on my orchid?

Postby gordon » March 23rd, 2012, 11:33 am

I went to water my orchid today and noticed a white fuzz on the top of the stems, and looking closer there were fuzzy white bugs in there as well. What are they, and how do I get rid of them? I already trimmed one of the stems as it was dying off, but I still have a healthy one on the same plant.
gordon

Postby maeleachlainn » March 23rd, 2012, 11:38 am

they will be either Mealy Bugs or Wooly Aphids and both will pretty much be treated the same way ranging from just wiping the plants down, washing with spray of water or use an insecticide from rubbing alcohol to something systemic, since it is a non edible plant
maeleachlainn

Postby beartlaidh17 » March 23rd, 2012, 11:50 am

You've got good old fashioned mealy bugs. They love to migrate from plant to plant, so isolate this one from your other plants, and check all others carefully for the next few weeks. As to getting rid of them, dip a Qtip in rubbing alcohol, and rub them off the plant. Change Qtips every few dips, so you'll do a good job of removing the bugs and the fuzzy egg nests. Check also the back sides of leaves and stems, and especially check the angles where one branch comes off another -- this is where you'll see the fuzzy webs, in which the eggs are hidden. You'll have to keep at this alcohol treatment every day for a couple of weeks, because the larvae will hatch out, and also because you'll miss a few. Google up "systemic pesticide" for info about chemicals you can put right on the potting soil, to enter the plant via the root system to minimize pests.
beartlaidh17

Postby winfred83 » March 23rd, 2012, 12:00 pm

Mealy bugs are white and fuzzy.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/troubleshooting.html Clicking on mealy bugs will lead you to some information. Rubbing alcohol can kill them. This is a good list of pest that get on plants.
winfred83

Return to Orchids