Do I have to put root tabs under my plants?

Postby bondon92 » January 1st, 1970, 10:00 am

I bought some JBL Kugeln (7balls) root tabs the other day and I was wondering under which plants should I place them as some plants take most of their nutrients from the water column and some from the substrate. For each type of plant, tell me if I should or shouldn't put root tabs under: Cabomba Amazon swords Anacharis Dwarf sagiterria Jungle vallisnrria I also got some JBL Ferropol plant fertiliser which I dose weekly.
bondon92

Postby knocks42 » June 12th, 2011, 3:24 am

Most of your plants are capable of taking the nutrients they need out of the water. The only one of the plants you mention that would really benefit from plant tabs at their roots are the swords, so that's where I would use them. If using both, you might want to watch the response of the other plants in your tank and possibly algae growth from using both types. You might have to cut back on the JBL Ferropol a little so you don't have more nutrients than your plants can use and an algae outbreak occurs. Iron might especially be a problem, since this can fuel brush algae.
knocks42

Postby nisien19 » March 12th, 2012, 6:36 pm

what is your substrate comprised of? if it's a dirt substrate, you will not need to add any ferts. if it's just gravel, you will need to add fertilizers to any and all plants, since you can't take nutrients from a rock. same goes with sand. if you're using a substrate that's made for plants (ie. ADA aquasoil) you will not have to put in any fertilizers. I assume you're using just gravel, so I recommend you put them equally spaced by the roots of all your plants, to get the most coverage.
nisien19

Postby iason » February 1st, 2015, 11:22 pm

I bought some JBL Kugeln (7balls) root tabs the other day and I was wondering under which plants should I place them as some plants take most of their nutrients from the water column and some from the substrate. For each type of plant, tell me if I should or shouldn't put root tabs under: Cabomba Amazon swords Anacharis Dwarf sagiterria Jungle vallisnrria I also got some JBL Ferropol plant fertiliser which I dose weekly.
iason

Return to Fertiliser