My dog has uncontrolable diarrhea, is vomiting and is not eating. What is wrong with her?

My dog has uncontrolable diarrhea, is vomiting and is not eating. What is wrong with her?

Postby coburn46 » November 26th, 2013, 10:33 am

She is going to the vet at about 10:30 AM. She would be there now if they were not currently in surgery. I do realize as you read the description, you are going to say "you should have taken her sooner!!!1!"
I know that we should have taken her sooner, and I regret not doing so.

Please, answer only if you have an idea of what is wrong. The person with the most accurate answer after she has gone to the vet will get the 10 points.

What I am describing is information I got over the phone. I haven't seen the dog myself yet.
For the past 2 or 3 days, she has been having uncontrolled diarrhea and has stopped eating. She vomited a few times, but mostly she was just pooping. Even though she was ill, she acted completely fine. When taken on walks, she chased the squirrels just like she always does and seemed completely healthy. This is why we assumed she had just eaten something rotten, even after two days of the diarrhea.

We tried cooking her rice and hamburger meat and she would not eat it initially. Yesterday she ate a little bit, but not very much at all.

This morning she went downhill. She urinated all over the floor and had diarrhea again, although I'm not sure where all this waste has come from as she is not eating very much. Now she is showing pain/illness and isn't moving around very much. After seeing her in this state, a vet visit was immediately scheduled.

What do you think is wrong with her?
coburn46

Postby lorne » November 26th, 2013, 10:36 am

Yeah. I completely understand it, how you said people say "Go to the vets!" You're trying, hun. It's the best you an do. No worries.

My dog was like this once. Exactly the same. It turns out she got some food that didn't make her happy. She ate some fertilizer for my garden. She got an upset tummy. Dogs are kind like us. If our bodies get a bad thing they don't like, we try to get it out. That's foo poisoning basically. She probably got a cleaner, fertilizer, chocolate, loads of sugar, onions, or something else dogs can't have. Maybe try evalualting what you have been eatting. She could of eaten the scraps. Is there cleaner or other stuff left out? Have you changed her food recently? Sometimes dogs stomaches don't do well with dramatic food changes. She also might have an allergy.

So, put up her food. Make sure you leave lots of bowls of water laying around for her to drink. My dog also got dehydrated from her diareaha and throwing up too much. Then, keep a close eye on her. Take her out often. I recommend laying towels down where she plays or puppy training mats. If not, okay with her in the kitchen or some place that I'd easier to clean. Not the carpet. Dont work her too hard either. If she wants to play, play. If not, don't force her. Good luck and hurry to the vet hen you can go! Xx
lorne

Postby ailen » November 26th, 2013, 10:42 am

Asking people on the internet is not going to get you anywhere. Taking the dog to the vet is the right step. Symptoms like these could be from a number of things and only a vet exam and testing will tell you what is wrong for sure. If she has been vomiting and had diarrhea my first concern would be intake of water not food. Make sure she is drinking and take her to the vet as soon as you can get in. Pinch the back of her neck or skin and if it stands up she may be dehydrated. I would recommend water and gatorade 50/50 mix until she can get IV fluids in that case. Try not to stress her out as much as possible and if she is acting like she is in pain try not get her in a comfortable position and keep her there. Good Luck!
ailen

Postby halden79 » November 26th, 2013, 10:50 am

Asking people on the internet is not going to get you anywhere. Taking the dog to the vet is the right step. Symptoms like these could be from a number of things and only a vet exam and testing will tell you what is wrong for sure. If she has been vomiting and had diarrhea my first concern would be intake of water not food. Make sure she is drinking and take her to the vet as soon as you can get in. Pinch the back of her neck or skin and if it stands up she may be dehydrated. I would recommend water and gatorade 50/50 mix until she can get IV fluids in that case. Try not to stress her out as much as possible and if she is acting like she is in pain try not get her in a comfortable position and keep her there. Good Luck!
Usually the first thing I think when someone says their dog or puppy has been vomiting and throwing up is parvo. Since your dog was active for the first two days and not sleeping all the time I doubt that but just keep in mind it is possible if she isn't up to date on her shots. It's possible she just ate something that didn't agree with her stomach. She could have even gotten into come poison. I hope everything is alright with her!
halden79

Postby berkeley89 » November 26th, 2013, 10:58 am

Could have picked up something outside. The upset tummy could be from some kind of bacteria or object she ate.

What was she being fed before the diarrhea started? Could be she just has a sensitive stomach and reacted to something she was fed beforehand.

Could be a parasite. But I'd think you'd see a few worms in the diarrhea if that was the case.

On the more serious side, she could have an intestinal problem. Some kind of inflammation or damage to the intestine. Could be a blockage or a partial one at least.
berkeley89

Postby malone » November 26th, 2013, 11:02 am

she could either have parvo which is very serious or she has a very bad gut infection..she could also have a bad case of worms and need deworming,,but still feed her plain yogurt. pumpkin is good for them too.. along with what the vet proscribes..she will prolly need fluids put in her. hopefully she will be fine but remember the yogurt its good to give them all the time!:)
malone

Postby gilroy » November 26th, 2013, 11:03 am

It could be parvo.
How can you compare Yahoo answers from contributors that are not vets, that's just silly.
All we can do is guess. That's because 1) we are not vets and 2), no one on here can examine the dog. (even if there was a vet looking at this, which is highly unlikely)
gilroy

Postby dagen55 » November 26th, 2013, 11:17 am

Your guess is as good as ours. It could be anything from an upset stomach where the bacterias in her gut has been affected or it could be something more serious. Best thing to make her comfortable and wait and hear what the vet says.

All the best to her.
dagen55

Postby giovany91 » November 26th, 2013, 11:18 am

Your vet needs to examine her and find the problem. We don't have a crystal ball.

Ask about bloat. Have the blood test done. Ask about intestinal bacteria and colitis.
giovany91

Postby garren » November 26th, 2013, 11:22 am

Get off here and take it to a vet asap
garren

Next

Return to Fertiliser