Freshwater aquarium plants?

Postby kelvan43 » March 24th, 2014, 4:33 pm

So, I will soon be getting a 40 gallon tank. I want to get some live plants but I have never had live plants before and don"t really know anything about them. So here are some questions I have on them.

1. What are the easiest kinds of plants to keep?(please list at least 2 or 3)
2. For these plants (from question 1) do I need any special lighting?
3. For the plants (from question 1) do I need any special substrate or is regular aquarium sand fine?
4. Do I need to add anything to the tank or plants to help them thrive?

Thanks for the help :)
kelvan43

Postby winnie94 » March 24th, 2014, 4:35 pm

There are many plants you can keep ,I keep a few different plants ,but the easiest ones to keep are Java Fern and Amazon sword Those are the only plants i can keep with My Cichlids they strip and eat all other plants .
they are low lighting plants and one of those plants that is hard to kill.Good beginner plants i always say .

I actually plant mine in the gravel even though its not recommended and mine are over 1ft tall and nice and green ,Depending on the plant will depend on substrate some can float some need tieing down like to drift wood some can be planted .

I use a Co2 system in my tank its not necessarily needed ,the same as some people use root tabs or a fertilizer in there tanks .
I have a tank that just has plants and lighting only and no chemicals are added other than aqua safe and those plants are thriving .
winnie94

Postby fitzjames » March 24th, 2014, 4:44 pm

I just added plants 6 months ago to all eight of my tanks. I have Amazon Swords, Onion Plants, several types of Cryptocoryne, Amazon Compacta Swords, and Rosette Swords planted in my sand/gravel. I have the Petco brand of Aquarium Sand which is small grain gravel. It doesn't compact like sand and it doesn't vacuum out when I clean it. I also have Anubias and Java Ferns and Moss on driftwood and rocks. I use API Root Zone every two weeks after water changes. The swords are blooming and sending out shoots, the Anubias is also blooming right now. I changed my single florescent light bulbs to 10,000K bulbs and everything is growing great.
I also have wisteria in my 40 gallon breeder and I trim it every other week. I may just take it out since the swords are Cryptocorynes spreading out.

Good site....and good luck...!

http://www.floridaaquatic.com/aquarium_plants_1.html
fitzjames

Return to Ferns