Does tomato soup expire?

Does tomato soup expire?

Postby bancrofft » September 20th, 2012, 11:24 am

I have a can of tomato soup that has an expiration date of august 5 2011...does soup go bad? Would you eat it?
bancrofft

Does tomato soup expire?

Postby abital » September 20th, 2012, 11:26 am

Expiration dates on canned food are generally dates for the last day the product can be sold in the store and the food would still be good for months, and well beyond that stamped date. Generally, canned food is good for two years after purchase. Some expiration dates for fresh foods are hard dates and you should utilize them - like with eggs, I'm very reluctant to eat eggs that are a week beyond the expiration date and would toss them. And chicken, I never take a risk with chicken, and don't even think twice, if it's beyond the expiration date, I won't eat it. But canned foods I would eat if the expiration date is a year beyond the expiration date. Two years beyond the expiration would make me nervous and I'd probably toss it. August of last year is no problem.
abital

Does tomato soup expire?

Postby kaycie46 » September 20th, 2012, 11:29 am

Yes, it does go bad. But in this case if you are hungry and nothing else in the house eat it. Otherwise donate it to the food bank that is what most people do.
kaycie46

Does tomato soup expire?

Postby ewan93 » September 20th, 2012, 11:36 am

It's fine.
ewan93

Return to Tomatoes