Can any christian explain the extreme scientific absurdities of the Bible?

Postby rye » May 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm

here we go

Proverbs 6:6-8, ants have no commander, no ruler and no overseer! This is absurdly false, because ants live in colonies and ranks of rulership and authority. And they have a queen.

Leviticus 11:20-23, "All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you." No insect with four legs exists. Insects have six legs and six feet.

The earth is flat, has four corners, is standing on pillars that prevent it from shaking, and is immovable. (1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6, Job 38:4, Isaiah 11:12, Revelation 7:1, Job 38:13, Jeremiah 16:19, Daniel 4:11, Psalm 93:1-3, Psalm 96:10, Psalm 104:5, 1 Chronicles 16:30, Matthew 4:8)

Daniel 4:10-11 declares the earth is flat, "10 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. 11 The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth."

Matthew 13:31-32 "He (Jesus) told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds," The mustard seed is not the smallest of all seeds. Others, such as the orchid seed, are smaller.

Mark 16:18 "they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." Christians so bothered by the falsehood of this verse due to the many fatalities they suffered because of it, that the Bible theologians insist on denying these verses by saying: "The most reliable early manuscript and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20." [1] [2].

John 12:24 "I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." That is scientifically false. The dead seed does not produce new seeds.

James 5:3 gold and silver do rust.

The bible has declared

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God." (2 Timothy 3:16)

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless...." (2 Samuel 22:31)

"And the words of the LORD are flawless...." (Psalm 12:6)

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless...." (Psalm 18:30)

"Every word of God is flawless...." (Proverbs 30:5)

now if even one of these is not rebutted this means the Bible is not the word of God
rye

Postby wattesone » May 10th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Proverbs 6:6-8
Ants work together but they don't have one ant who stands there and watches the others. Each type of ant has a job to do, including the queen. Their titles are not about authority or rulership.

Leviticus 11:20-23
'Walk on all fours' does not mean they have four legs. Other translations talk about insects with jointed legs so they can jump. Walking on all fours is a poor translation into English and gives a wrong impression.

1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6, Job 38:4, Isaiah 11:12, Revelation 7:1 etc
These are all poetic passages and do not say that the earth is literally flat, with four corners and stands on pillars.

Daniel 4:10-11
The quote says it all... 'visions' are not necessarily literal.

Matthew 13:31-32
I'm not a biologist so I don't know, but maybe the mustard seed is the smallest seed that was known to the people in the area where Jesus was speaking. I mean if he started talking about orchids and they don't know what an orchid is then it's not really much help to them.

Mark 16:18
You are right- many people think that Mark 16:9-20 is not authentic. It does not fit with the previous verses, flows badly and repeats some of them.

John 12:24
This means that if the seed falls to the ground, new plants can come from the seed and in this way many new seeds are produced. Jesus is comparing this to his crucifixion.

James 5:3
The whole point of this verse is that gold and silver are of little real value.

Is that helpful?
wattesone

Postby osmont » May 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Proverbs 6:6-8
Ants work together but they don't have one ant who stands there and watches the others. Each type of ant has a job to do, including the queen. Their titles are not about authority or rulership.

Leviticus 11:20-23
'Walk on all fours' does not mean they have four legs. Other translations talk about insects with jointed legs so they can jump. Walking on all fours is a poor translation into English and gives a wrong impression.

1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6, Job 38:4, Isaiah 11:12, Revelation 7:1 etc
These are all poetic passages and do not say that the earth is literally flat, with four corners and stands on pillars.

Daniel 4:10-11
The quote says it all... 'visions' are not necessarily literal.

Matthew 13:31-32
I'm not a biologist so I don't know, but maybe the mustard seed is the smallest seed that was known to the people in the area where Jesus was speaking. I mean if he started talking about orchids and they don't know what an orchid is then it's not really much help to them.

Mark 16:18
You are right- many people think that Mark 16:9-20 is not authentic. It does not fit with the previous verses, flows badly and repeats some of them.

John 12:24
This means that if the seed falls to the ground, new plants can come from the seed and in this way many new seeds are produced. Jesus is comparing this to his crucifixion.

James 5:3
The whole point of this verse is that gold and silver are of little real value.

Is that helpful?
Wrong. You can't take things out of context. The Bible is not suppose to be read literally.
osmont

Postby gabrian » May 10th, 2012, 3:51 pm

They didn't have science back in God's day.
gabrian

Postby lludd » May 10th, 2012, 3:59 pm

How about Yahweh's food and hygiene laws for the human race to follow in Leviticus based on His working knowledge of the germ theory? What's so absurd about that scientific fact?
lludd

Postby tai » May 10th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I'm an atheist because I don't know whether God exists or not. But I'm not an atheist because I've picked apart the Bible on a scientific basis. Those who argue such things, proponents and opponents, are completely missing the entire intent and meaning of religious texts. If you don't believe in the Bible; then continue to not believe it. But don't try and attack a book written for the express purpose of providing inspiration and a basis of faith for so many people. It's just disrespectful.
tai

Postby corbet » May 10th, 2012, 4:14 pm

The second 'law' and the theory of gravitational pulls and attraction 'laws' must be rigorously tested to be used properly.

For work must be added to a system to overcome lower states of energy and the second law of disorder for closed or semi-closed systems. This is wisdom and power. For Science must have wisdom and power applied to study phenomenon in a laboratory.
corbet

Postby jorel » May 10th, 2012, 4:18 pm

can they? not in my book
jorel

Postby ximun » May 10th, 2012, 4:24 pm

First of all, the Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation, and so on. Therefore, words may have been translated wrong. Either way, most of your "absurdities" are merely nitpickings and not all that important, save for the flat earth.
ximun

Postby benecroft » May 10th, 2012, 4:26 pm

[email protected]
when prophet / king Solomon puh was marshing with his army=
Till, when they came to the valley of the ants, one of the ants said: "O ants! Enter your dwellings, lest Sulaiman (Solomon) and his hosts crush you, while they perceive not."
So he [Sulaiman (Solomon)] smiled, amused at her speech and said: "My Lord! Inspire and bestow upon me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favours which You have bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds that will please You, and admit me by Your Mercy among Your righteous slaves."
benecroft

Return to Orchids