What kind of house plant should I buy?

Postby txanton4 » February 3rd, 2015, 2:39 am

My boyfriend wants a plant. I figure since v-day is around the corner, it would make for a great gift. Ideally, my boyfriend would like a plant that requires some effort in it's cultivation and would yield some kind of observable results (i.e. a flower.) However, we live in an apartment in a very cold climate. Neither of us have any experience with gardening, but he is willing and eager to learn to provide the plant with proper care. Any recommendations beyond Aloe, Bamboo, or Cactus plants
txanton4

Postby gabrian » February 3rd, 2015, 2:51 am

Christmas Cactus is a good suggestion. :) Remember, any type of cactus or succulent will need a lot of light, but a Christmas Cactus is one of the hardiest and will take a little less light. Same with a jade plant, but those are more boring. A spider plant might be a really good idea. They put out shoots on which baby spider plants develop, and you can leave them hanging on the plant or take them off and grow whole new ones. Plus they are really easy to care for, just don't overwater them. (That goes for almost any plant though.) I have a little peace lily and it had blooms at first but now it just grows green foliage. I'm sure there's a way to get it to bloom but it's not an automatic thing, (at least not for my plant..) so I don't think I'd agree with that recommendation.
gabrian

Postby beaumont » February 3rd, 2015, 3:07 am

How about growing plants that not only look good but also improve you indoor air? Try these: 1) The Areca Palm (or Chrysalidocarpus lutescens) - removes pollutants in the air 2) The Mother-in-law’s Tongue (or Sansevieria trifasciata) - converts CO2 to O2 (oxygen) 3) The Money Plant (or Epipremnum aureum) - removes Formaldehyde in the air Good luck!
beaumont

Postby quenton » February 3rd, 2015, 3:11 am

Your biggest issue is light. There are very few low light house plants that bloom. Spathipyllum (peace lily) is one. Christmas Cactus gives a nice seasonal bloom. Most plants suitable to the low light of a home are green plants. Good luck
quenton

Postby eudav » February 3rd, 2015, 3:13 am

The climate is less important than having a sunny window if you want any type of plant that flowers. Chinese evergreens are good for low-light conditions, in case you only have north-facing windows (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere).
eudav

Postby arlie » February 3rd, 2015, 3:20 am

I recommend a phalaenopsis orchid. I have about 10 orchids which have lived and bloomed yearly for about 14 years now. You must have a room with bright indirect light, no full sun on them though. I just water them thoroughly once a week in my kitchen sink and they are gorgeous when they bloom. You can buy them inexpensively now in most home improvement stores as well as nurseries.
arlie

Postby jaecar79 » February 3rd, 2015, 3:21 am

X-mas cactus. If you cultivate it right it can be filled with blooms in Nov/Dec. Which makes it way more awesome than a regular cactus. Mine was in full bloom three weeks in Dec.
jaecar79

Postby riordan » February 3rd, 2015, 3:29 am

Try diifenbachia. I have one about 1 year and is a little shorter that me and gets a pod like flower. For lighting it needs high-med light and are VERY TOXIC to babies dogs cats and any other animal you own.
riordan

Postby nihal » February 3rd, 2015, 3:43 am

bromeliad, Chocolate Soldier, Rex Begonia
nihal

Postby caddell5 » February 3rd, 2015, 3:44 am

pink rose , aloe Vera , cactus is too nice and flowers of yellow colour
caddell5

Next

Return to Cactus / Succulents