Why are a lot of Chinese origin things pronounced in Japanese especially in Western?

Why are a lot of Chinese origin things pronounced in Japanese especially in Western?

Postby galtero70 » May 5th, 1970, 4:22 pm

Chinese "Laomian" vs Japanese "Ramen"
Chinese "Weiqi" vs Japanese "Go"
Chinese "Penjing" vs Japanese "Bonsai"
Chinese "Hanzi" vs Japanese "Kanji"
Chinese "Doufu" vs Japanese "Tofu"
Chinese "Wansui" vs Japanese "Banzai"
Chinese "Jiaozi" vs Japanese "Gyoza"
Chinese "Manhua" vs Japanese "Manga"
Chinese "Ke'ai" vs Japanese "Kawaii"
Chinese "Shuangjiegun" vs Japanese "Nunchaku"
Chinese "Xiansheng" vs Japanese "Sensei"
Chinese "Jiangjun" vs Japanese "Shogun"
Chinese "Sun Wukong" vs Japanese "Son Goku"
Chinese "Quan Fa" vs Japanese "Kenpo"
Chinese "Zhanmadao" vs Japanese "Zanbato"

Westerners should know that so many of Japanese things have its origin in China and if you're really educated, you should call it by its original Chinese pronunciation. Especially I don't like Chinese character being called Kanji because to me that implying it is Japanese character, not Chinese.
galtero70

Postby tomkin » March 22nd, 1992, 1:14 pm

I think part of the reason is that Chinese is a tonal language. So is English, so when we speak, it's going to be a lot easier for English-speakers to pronounce Japanese than Chinese.

Also, we get a lot of those words through Japanese-made cartoons. If more Chinese cartoons came to the English-speaking parts of the world, maybe we would use the Chinese words for them instead.

For what it's worth, I know those things came from China originally.
tomkin

Postby eumann » October 2nd, 2007, 3:53 am

On the other hand, all of those things you listed that originated in China came about before Mandarin became a dominant language, and so by that logic, none of those things you mentioned should be pronounced in Mandarin either. They should all be pronounced in the appropriate Chinese language in which they originated from.
eumann

Postby chago » November 8th, 2009, 8:06 pm

For your information, while a lot of things have been taken over from Chine, yet still become known as Japanese: buddhism; hanzi or penjing, for example, but lot of which you have mentioned are of Japanese origin.

For example: manga. While the words manhua and manga existed way before, but their meaning was different. What we now call manga was first created in Japan and then went to China. Manhua's meaning changed on Japanese influence, not the other way around.

Also, kenpou and kawaii are just words. Japanese never copied words, but only characters to write them with. They were created separately on their own.

As for the marital arts, while many Japanese martial arts took inspiration from Chinese ones, they aren't complete copies at all. All of them had indeginous origins as well and developed differently.

Same for Songoku. He was loosely based on Sun Wukong, but that has zero meaning. Son Goku and Dragon Ball is still Japanese work.

EDIT: I did admit that there are a lot of things that are of Chinese origins and are still known as Japanese stuff. And I also agree that Japanese anime/manga and all-over influence is the reason for that. I just wanted to point out that not all of what you mentioned is of Chinese origin.
chago

Postby drummand » June 30th, 2012, 11:49 am

For your information, while a lot of things have been taken over from Chine, yet still become known as Japanese: buddhism; hanzi or penjing, for example, but lot of which you have mentioned are of Japanese origin.

For example: manga. While the words manhua and manga existed way before, but their meaning was different. What we now call manga was first created in Japan and then went to China. Manhua's meaning changed on Japanese influence, not the other way around.

Also, kenpou and kawaii are just words. Japanese never copied words, but only characters to write them with. They were created separately on their own.

As for the marital arts, while many Japanese martial arts took inspiration from Chinese ones, they aren't complete copies at all. All of them had indeginous origins as well and developed differently.

Same for Songoku. He was loosely based on Sun Wukong, but that has zero meaning. Son Goku and Dragon Ball is still Japanese work.

EDIT: I did admit that there are a lot of things that are of Chinese origins and are still known as Japanese stuff. And I also agree that Japanese anime/manga and all-over influence is the reason for that. I just wanted to point out that not all of what you mentioned is of Chinese origin.
drummand

Postby dedrik13 » July 6th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Chinese "Laomian" vs Japanese "Ramen"
Chinese "Weiqi" vs Japanese "Go"
Chinese "Penjing" vs Japanese "Bonsai"
Chinese "Hanzi" vs Japanese "Kanji"
Chinese "Doufu" vs Japanese "Tofu"
Chinese "Wansui" vs Japanese "Banzai"
Chinese "Jiaozi" vs Japanese "Gyoza"
Chinese "Manhua" vs Japanese "Manga"
Chinese "Ke'ai" vs Japanese "Kawaii"
Chinese "Shuangjiegun" vs Japanese "Nunchaku"
Chinese "Xiansheng" vs Japanese "Sensei"
Chinese "Jiangjun" vs Japanese "Shogun"
Chinese "Sun Wukong" vs Japanese "Son Goku"
Chinese "Quan Fa" vs Japanese "Kenpo"
Chinese "Zhanmadao" vs Japanese "Zanbato"

Westerners should know that so many of Japanese things have its origin in China and if you're really educated, you should call it by its original Chinese pronunciation. Especially I don't like Chinese character being called Kanji because to me that implying it is Japanese character, not Chinese.
dedrik13

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki