Possible dying juniper Bonsai?

Postby murdoch » December 15th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Ok so it Jan.7th in NY and I just got the plant 2 days ago it a juniper young bonsai.
Now to get it here it was watered a bit I know it cause the soil is moist still. The soil looks like ordinary soil untill you touch it it feels like sand bits of rocks and pebbles. My plant is inside near the window yes I know its suppose to be outside going dormant but I think the seller online has kept it inside and putting outside would kill it. Its green spikey foilage but when it arrived it had tiny areas of dead needles. I want to care for the bonsai im not sure if I should mist it or not or put it in direct sunlight cause some days its sunny. But I keep it in my cold room near a bright window room feels like 50 degrees max. Anyone else had this with junipers has anyone kept them inside I bought it tricked into thinking it was indoor I now know all the tropical bonsai I should have bought but I want to take care of this one.
murdoch

Postby wemilat » December 15th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Ok so it Jan.7th in NY and I just got the plant 2 days ago it a juniper young bonsai.
Now to get it here it was watered a bit I know it cause the soil is moist still. The soil looks like ordinary soil untill you touch it it feels like sand bits of rocks and pebbles. My plant is inside near the window yes I know its suppose to be outside going dormant but I think the seller online has kept it inside and putting outside would kill it. Its green spikey foilage but when it arrived it had tiny areas of dead needles. I want to care for the bonsai im not sure if I should mist it or not or put it in direct sunlight cause some days its sunny. But I keep it in my cold room near a bright window room feels like 50 degrees max. Anyone else had this with junipers has anyone kept them inside I bought it tricked into thinking it was indoor I now know all the tropical bonsai I should have bought but I want to take care of this one.
wemilat

Postby liosliath » December 15th, 2013, 11:35 pm

I hope you placed it outside by now :)
Junipers will die if kept indoors for too long a period and the catch is that it can die and still have green needles for several months.

Be careful with the soil and watering, junipers are easily prone to root rot.

You can read more on keeping junipers here:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html
liosliath

Postby ellswerth » December 15th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Plants inside have to have water and humidity, a humidity tray and misting. It should not have dead needles.
Junipers do not loose leaves during dormancy. They will stay green. It needs to have its dormancy because it needs a rest.

Some say a ficus juniper can live indoors.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

The site below tells about dormancy.
ellswerth

Postby quint » December 15th, 2013, 11:41 pm

sun light is as much necessary for the bonsai as watering. watering should be done in the absence of sharp sunlight or after the sun set and it must be done in such a way that its soil possess some moisture in the sharp sunlight. If watering and sunlight balances each other then there is no need to keep it inside the room. If your bonsai plant has some wound or cut then you can apply cut paste on it. various fertilizers are also available in market for proper growth of bonsai.
quint

Postby kermode » December 15th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Late autumn and early winter is the dormant season.
Do not over-water it, in fact, maybe once a month is adequate during this season.
I am from Wisconsin and had junipers all my life, I now live in the South Pacific, my junipers live year round, I do not water them.
Get in touch with your local agricultural department.
kermode

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki