My ficus bonsai froze outside in -10 degrees what can I do?

Postby dishi » January 17th, 2004, 2:15 am

last year I adopted a ficus bonsai and this year was supposed to be its first winter. I usually kept it outside and I didnt even think about it and it was outside for like 3 days in freezing temperature. By the time I remembered its leaves had turned purple. I brought it inside today and my brother gave it miracle growth to revive it a little bit. I also read online that bonsais need dormancy but I dont know if ficus bonsai need it too? I have never grown a plant and I feel so depressed. I dont know what to do please help me and please speak from experience! Thank you! ANYYY help would be appreciated!
I feel like a pet is dying ='[
dishi

Postby madelon » February 26th, 2014, 6:33 am

last year I adopted a ficus bonsai and this year was supposed to be its first winter. I usually kept it outside and I didnt even think about it and it was outside for like 3 days in freezing temperature. By the time I remembered its leaves had turned purple. I brought it inside today and my brother gave it miracle growth to revive it a little bit. I also read online that bonsais need dormancy but I dont know if ficus bonsai need it too? I have never grown a plant and I feel so depressed. I dont know what to do please help me and please speak from experience! Thank you! ANYYY help would be appreciated!
I feel like a pet is dying ='[
madelon

Postby alured99 » February 26th, 2014, 6:37 am

Death is around the corner.

Get another one this weekend.

Now go drink a beer and relax.
alured99

Postby milan » February 26th, 2014, 6:39 am

Your ficus is history at this point. They are subtropical plants and will not tolerate temperatures much below 30 degrees. If your outside temp did not get much below freezing you can leave the plant inside for a few weeks and see if it has any life left in it. I guarantee that all the leaves will drop off.
milan

Postby rikke » February 26th, 2014, 6:40 am

sorry, it's not going to recover at this point.... three days of freezing is just too much... the soil, roots, and the whole plant is beyond hope.... and, btw, giving fertilizer would have been wrong if there had been any life left in it, anyway..... you wouldn't try to pour chicken soup down the throat of an unconcious person, would you?... same deal...
take this as a hard lesson learned... ficus is an INSIDE plant in winter....it comes in when temperatures get around 55 degrees F during the day and 45 at night..... colder than that and it's not going to be a bit happy..... (12C to 7C or so)
rikke

Postby terrence » February 26th, 2014, 6:51 am

I would leave it inside for awhile and see if the leaves start to grow and come back. At this point you have nothing to lose. If you don't have any leaves or new growth in a month it is probably dead.
terrence

Postby connal29 » February 26th, 2014, 7:01 am

Oh heck, you will be losing a lot of pets. Expect it.
connal29

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki