Buy indoor palm tree UK?

Buy indoor palm tree UK?

Postby werner39 » November 21st, 2013, 7:49 pm

I would like to get my girlfriend who had never seen a palm tree before an indoor palm for Christmas. I was thinking similar to a bonsai but not necessarily that small although it does have to fit in her halls room. Any ideas or suggestions? Cheers
werner39

Buy indoor palm tree UK?

Postby ximun99 » November 21st, 2013, 7:52 pm

There are a lot of indoor palms that you can buy in the UK, some growing bigger than others:-

Coconut Palm, Cocos nucifera grows to 1.5m but there is the dwarf Cocos syagrus weddeliana that goes to 60cm. They are both, however, short lived in ordinary room conditions.

Chaemaerops humbles or European Fan Palm grows to 1.5 m but it has stiff foliage that needs a lot of space.

Chyrsalidocarpus lutescens or Areca Palm otherwise known as the butterfly fan is a very impressive specimen plant but needs a tall hall as it grows up to 3m tall.

Howea is the traditional Palm Court Palm but it grows up to 2.5m.

Date Palm - best one is Phoenix Roebelenii or Pygmy date palm which grows to 1m with arching fronds up to 60cm long.

Rhapis excelsa or Little Date Palm is the only one suitable for an average room but goes to 2m

Trachycarpus or Windmill Palm will even grow outdoors up to 2m. Indoors go for the dwarf form nana.

These heights are, of course, the maximum that the plant will reach over time so probably OK for the next 3 years in uni. You could, of course, grow your own date palm from a date stone which could be fun to watch and be a reasonable size for some time.
ximun99

Buy indoor palm tree UK?

Postby carmichael » November 21st, 2013, 7:53 pm

Golden Cane Palm or Dypsis lutescens is a nice one.

Or this website i found for you may help also!
http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/Category/Indoor-plants
carmichael

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki