Bonsai tree with brittle needles?

Postby alexander » May 24th, 2012, 12:33 pm

I'm not sure what type of tree I have, but it's definitely an evergreen, and probably not a juniper. The needles are brittle and break off in clumps when touched. It seems healthy otherwise. The man who sold it to me said it did well in artificial light and needed a lot of water every few days. Any tips?
alexander

Postby lok » May 24th, 2012, 12:43 pm

The needles are the leaves of an evergreen. Brittleness indicates a lack of moisture. Are you watering it enough? If so, how is the atmospheric moisture in your home? Get a misting sprayer. Spray it every day, towards evening. Remember, the leaves undergo photosynthesis in the presence of light, and part of that process is to release water vapor. Conversely, at night the absence of light reverses the process, and the leaves absorb water. If it's not available because of low humidity, the leaves will eventually go into shock and shut down. That's when they fall off, they're dead.
lok

Postby daryl » May 24th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Bonsai usually go into dormancy in the winter for their rest. Their needles stay green when they do.
Bonsai with needles do not do good indoors.
It needs to be on a humidity tray If you barely scratch the trunk and see some green it is alive.
daryl

Postby ashlin6 » May 24th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Hi ,I believe you need a bigger container for the root system or possibly the plant may need some plant food. Both should help.Good luck.
ashlin6

Return to Bonsai and Suiseki